Registered users (members) don’t see this ad!

Sign in to follow this  
alvin

High Oil Usage

Hi folks,

I have a 2001 Corolla (bought in San Jose, California) with 100K now.

The car runs fine, except that when I took my last road trip (900 Miles, roundtrip)

the engine oil which I got changed just before the trip was all gone when I came back from the trip. The check oil light came on, on my way back.

Not sure, if this is expected from a car with 100K milage on it.

I did drive at 85-90 mph for extended periods during the trip, do you think, that could be the reason ?

There is absolutely no leak, and no other issue with the car.

Anybody noticed this kind of problem with their Corolla ?

Thanks and appreciate the help.

Contributors don’t see ads — including in-image ads!

Did you change the oil yourself, dealership/mechanic do the job, or quick lube place. Could it be possible that the oil level was low to start with?

The car will burn oil when driven at high speeds - but not enough to burn off enugh oil to cause a check oil lamp to come on for your given trip.

If the car has not burned any oil before - I would lean to a loose oil drin plug, filter, or cap. High speed - could drip oil out of those area - when cooled, there will be no apparent leak. 8th generation Corollas also had a reputation for leaky valve seals and stuck piston rings - some cases leading to excessive oil consumption.

Kind of hit or miss - seems to plague the earlier models. My car is driven almost all high speed highway miles - but doesn't burn a drop of oil (~110K miles). I run an OEM oil filter, Mobil 1 5w30 synthetic oil, change intervals around 7500 miles - all done by myself. I've seen others run conventional motoer oil with aftermarket filters and 3K oil changes with as many miles as my Corolla - no oil issues with their ride.

Does the car smoke at all? Did you change the oil? Noticed any lagging or reduction in HP? No leaks at all around the engine? If their are no leaks then their should be a butt load of smoke. Depending how many miles you drove. And going 85-90 mph will not hurt the car unless you were in 3rd gear the whole time, LOL. A good way to check if it is burning oil is too take a out one spark plug at a time and look at it to see if there is any oil on it. If there is oil on the end, then the car is burning oil. Now do not be fooled, If there is oil on the threads it could have come from some leak some where else on the engine, but I'm pretty sure you would see it.

Unfortunately this seems to be a common problem on the 1zzfe engine. stuck or sticky rings... Seems to hit around 90k miles. I'm trying a few things in order to reduce oil consumption on my 1998. I plan on trying a flush next oil change. A Bardol additive seems to slow consupmtion for the time being.

Hi Ross,

Can you try the Valvoline max life oil additive? I am not sure we have found something that works, although one post seemed to indicate it helps.

sv11

alvin,

I had a mild oil comsumption problem on my 01. It happened around 50,000 miles. I had the same symtoms: no leaks, no obvious performance problems, no noticeable smoke from the exhaust.

The problem was an o-ring type gasket that seals the valves. For around $100 at the stearlership, the problem was solved.

I have a 2001 Corolla CE, 3-speed, and the oil comsumption for every 3,000 miles is about 1 1/2 quart....it is a bit on the high side, but then, I read that this type of engine typically runs "hotter" than "normal"...thus, the oil comsumption will be high.

- uchok00 :ph34r:

alvin,

I had a mild oil comsumption problem on my 01. It happened around 50,000 miles. I had the same symtoms: no leaks, no obvious performance problems, no noticeable smoke from the exhaust.

The problem was an o-ring type gasket that seals the valves. For around $100 at the stearlership, the problem was solved.

The valve seal oil loss has also been reported as a source of lost oil. I suppose that would be a good starting place.

I may try the maxlife stuff next oil change. I'll post my findings.

00, I have no oil consumption with mine in hot texas so you should see if your motor needs repair. my temp guage stays centered in the middle so it doesnt run hot.

loaded,

This type of engine does run hotter than the typical 4. This is not abnormal just fact, regardless of the temp gauge.

uchok,

I just had to put in a qt after a little over 2,000 miles from the last oil change. If you are doing high speed/hard acceleration and constantly got the tack up you are going to consume oil especially if you got an auto 3 gearbox. I spoke to my mechanic and a qt short is normal for this type of engine. I would check your levels for every 1,000 miles and you should be fine.

kor I never said is doesnt run higher[which doesnt mean hot], I said Ive never had a hot motor or any consumption in my experience. I did with my mr2, it ran higher...and it would get hot when driven hard and the temp guage would climb, unlike my corolla which constantly stays centered. that was a mid engine design though which always runs higher.

with the drive belt wearing out so fast I know engine heat is higher with these. I never had that problem with other make 4's.

Around 51,000 or so. I only observe oil consumption when I am driving long distance at high speed. Sometimes I am low, sometimes not. I replace my pcv valve every 3 changes.