Sign in to follow this  
purplelife

Need Help, Trunk Won't Open!

Hi all,

I posted once before about having difficult adjusting to the driving position in the corolla (steering wheel seemed too far away). It's getting better, though still not perfect. Anyway, I am having another, urgent problem with my corolla. I am visiting some friends and to be safe I put my trunk in "valet" mode (turned key counterclockwise after closing the trunk), which the dealer told me disables the trunk popper, and makes it so the valet key won't open the trunk. To make sure "valet" was working I tried pulling the trunk popper and the trunk didn't open, yay. Later on I needed to get something from the trunk so I went to open it with my regular key but the trunk wouldn't open, no matter which way I turned the key (I put it back to the regular upright position)! The popper won''t work either! Help!

Turn the key all the way to the right until it clicks, then back to the center position. If that doesn't do it, you may need a locksmith.

Edited by Max

if your corolla is 01 or later just fold the back seat down and pull the lever inside the trunk made for kids or kidnapped people to release themselves out of the trunk. its near the speakers and glows in the dark.

before your post here I gave this same answer to an identical question posted yesterday on toyota nation. was that you?

nope it wasn't me...

Max, I tried your suggestion, it didn't work :(

I would indeed do the fold the seat trick, however, my trunk is filled to the brim with stuff, so it would be quite a job trying to squeeze it all out through the seats in order to get to the latch. If it comes down to that, I guess that's my only option before going to a dealer (which I really don't want to have to do).

Make sure you're turning the key far enough clockwise to open the latch. You may want to spray some Liquid Wrench or PB blaster into the keyhole to loosen it up. If it doesn't turn far enough, it won't open up. It's possible that when you turned it to the left for valet mode, the tumbler shifted.

Also, try pushing down on the trunk lid while you turn the key. It could be that the latch mechanism needs a little lubrication. Once you open the lock, you might want to spray some silicone lubricant on the latch so it doesn't happen again.

It might help to know what model year your Corolla is; if it's an older one, the cable linkage may have failed due to wear and tear, corrosion, or a combination of the two. I tried to duplicate your problem on my '03 Corolla, but the trunk "popper" worked perfectly after returning the trunk lock to it's normal position with the regular (non-Valet) key. Keep in mind that the regular key is the ONLY one you use on the trunk; the Valet key will only unlock the doors and operate the ignition. It doesn't even turn in the trunk lock.

my corolla is a 2005. i'm using the regular key (not the valet). it will turn all the way clockwise as usual (as well as counterclockwise to go back into "valet" mode), but the trunk won't open. likewise, the trunk popper latch inside the car pulls up as normal, except that there's no resistance and the trunk doesn't pop open. It feels like the trunk popper latch has detached from it's proper position or something.

I tried pressing down on the trunk while turning the key, and pulling up, but it just seems... stuck :(

Thanks to everyone with your responses, if you think of anything else please let me know!

Guest strawberry

really cannot not offer you any solid advice here. but being that the car is an 05, i would not hesitate to take it to the dealer and get it fixed under warranty. something is definitely screwy somewhere.

Guest strawberry

ps-grab your owner's manual and check that out. maybe there is something in that that can help you.

I was falsely remembering seat switches being by the headrests but youre right, theyre in the trunk. another stupid toyota idea being that they think they know whats best for you better than you do.

yah take it to the dealer, they'll fix it.

The slot in the back seat reminded me of the time when I was 4 and my cousins (evil buggers that they are) locked me in the trunk. Lucky for me, I was small enough at the time to fit through that slot.

I'm not so sure I could fit through it now...I'd have to be really limber...

:lol:

if your corolla is 01 or later just fold the back seat down and pull the lever inside the trunk made for kids or kidnapped people .....................................

LOL!!!!!!

Sorry. It sounded funny.

Edited by 4rnrlvr