Registered users (members) don’t see this ad!

Sign in to follow this  
kmcloonan

'99 Automatic Gear Shift Light Bulb Replacement

My wife's '99 corolla has a burned out light on the gear shift selector. At night, it's tough to see what gear she is in, especially when backing out of the driveway in reverse, and then shifting into drive. I can do it by feel, but she would like the added assurance of seeing that she is in Drive, not in the lower gear.

Anyway, does someone have experience with changing out that bulb? I checked out chiltons with no luck.

trap
Guest arald

It's not that easy (pry off the top frame). I tried and is not enough. I got stuck when I had to remove the whole front cover of the console. I unscrewed all screws I could find but there's still something tha's holding it.

Did you find out how to do it?

I just changed this bulb on a 1998 Corolla. I was able to access it by removing the rear console portion. It's hard to reach, but can be done. The socket unlocks with a slight twist.

I've got this to do as well. I'll try through the rear console.

Do you remember what bulb goes in there?

Edited by Anton

Guest AncientCorolla

the toughest part is to reach the small bulb, once you can reach it, plug the bulb out. I made a mistake of twisting and removing the socket and pushed the socket inside the gear compartment. I managed to put a new bulb but couldn't plug the socket back to the right place :( It is now tangling in there loosely.

I've got this to do as well. I'll try through the rear console.

Do you remember what bulb goes in there?

Sorry, I don't remember off the top of my head, but I bought the replacment at Pepboys.

Guest AncientCorolla

I got mine from Walmart. It was a smaller type of bulb and mine is blue. FYI - get the normal bulb, blue looks ugly.