Registered users (members) don’t see this ad!

Sign in to follow this  
toyota81

How Good Is Your Corolla On Gas?

i just bought an 06 corolla and i get terrible gas miles, i'm only getting around 200-230 miles on a full tank.....i dont know why i mean its all city miles but it shouldn't be that bad

How fast are you driving? That is a little low, but you will get less gas milage on the winter fuel formula. Our last tank, we got 31MPG and it was all city driving and too many short trips. Our all time best was 43mpg on a trip tho.

It really depends on how you drive it.

It probably depends on where you live, but some places have already had snow, and we had a little the other night. I think the winter fuel is at the pumps at least where we live cause it's been really cold.

I don't know when they change back to summer fuel.

I also don't know exacly why winter fuel burns faster. BP puts additives to help prevent the fuel from freezing. You get less fuel economy, but, you get a better winter formula.

i just bought an 06 corolla and i get terrible gas miles, i'm only getting around 200-230 miles on a full tank.....i dont know why i mean its all city miles but it shouldn't be that bad

Our new cars did this until after teh first oil change - then the mileage really popped up. Also the driving style for initial break-in period is generally not good for fuel economy - just give it a little time and it should bounce back.

I have a 1992 that I am driving now that went from about 29/30 after a good tune-up to about 25, now that the transmission is slipping. I drive mostly around town on short trips and I know I have a heavy foot and am rough on the car. I coud do better if I drove more highway and did more coasting and less braking. I drive like a rabbit and am glad that the price of gas is coming down. I plan on selling the car, so if interested, e-mail me.

Was wondering how good everyones corolla did on gas. So far the farthest I have got on one tank is 420 miles.

I have a 1987 Toyota Collora LE 5 Speed and I get about 30 mpg hwy. I'm not sure what it in the city but I haven't ran into much traffic in Louisville.

my last two tankfuls :

29 MPG - no highway, but some two-lane at 55. mostly short trips below freezing. No regard for milage if the car was up to temp.

39 MPG - 100% two lane, mostly at 55. all miles came from one one trip, very hilly (287 from 220 to 6) with some in town driving in the middle and a little freeway at 70 at the end. I tried to keep milage in my mind as I was driving, no unncessary acceleration up hillsides in 3rd (well, I tried not to at least ;) )

Driving conditions play a tremendous role. 29 MPG is probably the worst tank I've gotten during 'normal' driving. Only tank that was worst was when I taught my wife to drive standard, we spent a couple hours at stop-and-go under 40MPH.

Edited by GarrettSocling

are winter gas in stations already? until what month in the spring do they run to?

WINTER GAS? What's winter gas? Is it mixed with antifreeze or something? I've honestly never heard of this.

WINTER GAS? What's winter gas? Is it mixed with antifreeze or something? I've honestly never heard of this.
Not antifreeze (as far as I know) but there's something different in the blend to help combustion in cold climates. Probably has something to do with emissions as well. Anyway, the winter blend causes a small drop in mpg which is the main reason anyone cares. Edited by euzeka

Some areas use winter gas - some do not. Winter gas is basically refomulated gasoline (contains oxygenates) that help with reducing smog related components. These oxygenates contain compounds that generally increase octance slightly and has more oxygen molecules available for combustion - supposedly better for colder weather (emissions) - which euzeka pointed out already. Since there is less "gasoline" per volume - your fuel economy will also go down.

That's interesting... winter gas... I think they made the switch in the Chicago area almost a month ago. I noticed a small decrease in mpg.

How's this for mileage for a 2000 LE... going home from a road trip to Philly... 40.7 mpg....

God I love coasting down the mountains.

I usually get about 30mpg, not bad. 50/50 city/highway.

my 93 prizm LSI automatic gets about 26mpg with a light foot around town. 20mpg if i'm in a real hurry :P

i've tweeked things a bit an run 89 octane now, its only $1 more per fill up as i never seem to put in more than 10 gallons of gas.

Edited by Bitter

331.1 miles on 10.109 gallons of 93 octane (1993 Geo Prizm LSi manual recommends 91 for the 1.8 7A-FE, but most gas stations only have 87, 89, and 93, so I don’t feel like mixing, and 87/89 are less than 91 obviously, so I am left with 93). That gives me 32.8 MPG.

My dad has been putting in 91/93 for 12 years before he gave me the car, and YES that is what it says in the manual (let me know if you want a picture). He told me once that he tried putting in 87, but the engine knocked.

This tank lasted me from 11/23/05 to 12/18/05 or 25 days. I went 100 MPH on the highway for about five seconds when no one was around, and shifted just before redline a couple of times. Boy does she like to rev high.

This car is still performing very well considering its age.