Registered users (members) don’t see this ad!

Sign in to follow this  
Guest 01CorollaS

Change Timing Belt?

Guest redinine

I just wouldn't worry about changing it unless it looks like its ready to break. If it does break it will not mess up your engine. This is one reason why I prefer toyotas over hondas. If I don't change my belt every 60k miles I don't have to worry about it.

Contributors don’t see ads — including in-image ads!

Sorry, but the "A timing chain should last the life of the engine" is not a "WILL". I am part of the reason the word "should" is used...LOL.

1994 Toyota 4wd truck 22re (timing chain). 66,621 miles the timing chain broke, not a guide or tensioner...the chain. Yes Toyota said it was a fluke. Did they assist in paying...no. I had to have most of the valves replaced (the 22re IS an interference engine) from the valves meeting the pistons. Engine never was right again after that. Had a noticably less (little less) power and used oil after that. I believe that at least one piston had been damaged and should have been replaced. Anyway, $1600-1800 later it was fixed. I had only had the truck about 3 weeks too after buying it used was the kicker.

Normally a timing chain will start making some noise as the guides and tensioners start to weaken and gives the chain some slack. This causes the chain to "rattle" against the cover. It should be replaced then. I would have mine replaced at least every 150k miles anyway.

Edited by Firescooby

Guest redinine

yeah you bought a crappy car used lol, i've had a camry and the belt broke, and then i fixed it, it was fine. the basic thing is if your sure it will break do it, if not then don't....p.s. don't get smart with me ######

Guest bones774

OK, I got a 96 w/217k miles. Its early in the AM, does it have chain or belt, never been replaced? How about is it interference engine or not? Thanks

I just bought my car and I don't know if it has belt or chain. I can tell you one thing though that I will be changing whatever at no more than 100,00k or 60,00m because of past experience.....

ChryslerCaravan....140,000 k... belt broke...new motor

1999 Sunfire (daughter's car) 145,000k.....same

Buick skylark......133,000 ..chain or belt broke....scrapped.