Registered users (members) don’t see this ad!

Sign in to follow this  
Guest 01CorollaS

Change Timing Belt?

Guest 01CorollaS

I have an 01 Corolla S with 68K+ miles on it. My question is, is it the right time for me to change my timing belt? If so, How would I know that the dealership did change my timing belt with a new one? Would it improve the car's performance? I just want to make sure that they really change the belt with a new one.

Thanks.

Don't your car has a... timing chain, instead of a belt?

So, you are dispensed of having it replaced so soon. In fact, the chain should last for the life of the engine.

Ti-Jean is right--8th gen Corollas ('98-'02) have a timing chain, very low maintenance.

Perhaps you mean the accessories (serpentine) belt? It should still be OK. Mine is fine after 100++ K miles. You can visually inspect it for cracks and other damage.

Guest 01CorollaS

Wow! I didn't know this. So, how come my dealership said they need to replace my timing belt? How do I know if I really have a chain? Where do I see it?

Thanks so much guys!

Wow! I didn't know this. So, how come my dealership said they need to replace my timing belt? How do I know if I really have a chain? Where do I see it?

Thanks so much guys!

It is hidden under the valve cover.

As Tinto suggested, your dealer is probably talking about the serpentine belt. That one you can see. It drives the accessories, such as AC compressor, power steering pump and such.

Ti-Jean and tinto99 are exactly right - you have a timing chain, not a belt. This assumes that you have a USDM (US Domestic Market) 2001 Corolla with the 1ZZFE engine code. Should be listed somewhere on the engine placard or with some documentation that you got with the engine.

To see the chain - you have to take the valve cover off to see the chain. The belt that you can see is the serpentine belt.

If you engine looks like the one in this pics - then you have a 1ZZ-FE. No belt.

https://www.corolland.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=17102#

Good Luck.

Guest 01CorollaS

Guys, thank you so much for the reply.

Anyways, I just called the dealership and they told me that what they need to replace is the driving belt and they confirmed that I have a timing chain. They said that driving belt needs to be changed at 60K. Is this correct?

It is recommended that you change your timing chain around a 100,000 miles. If you are not able to then I would not sweat it. They normally last the life of the engine. But it would not hurt to have it inspected or replaced around that time. A timing belt is a completly different animal. That thing needs to be replaced around 60,000 to a 100,000. But your 01 corolla has a timing chain.

The drive belt needs to be replaced at your discretion. Look at it. If it has any knicks, cuts, or is missing a lot of tread then it needs to be replaced. Your dealer would know best.

Guest 01CorollaS
The drive belt needs to be replaced at your discretion. Look at it. If it has any knicks, cuts, or is missing a lot of tread then it needs to be replaced. Your dealer would know best.

Where do I locate/find the driving belt? How would I know that the dealership really replaced my old driving belt with a new one?

When you open up the hood of the car. Look on the left hand side. You will see a belt, the drive belt wrapped around a bunch of pulleys. To tell if it was replaced or not the belt will be in perfect shape. No knicks or anything. You do not have to remove any covers, you will be able to see it as soon as you open the hood.

Guest 01CorollaS
When you open up the hood of the car. Look on the left hand side. You will see a belt, the drive belt wrapped around a bunch of pulleys. To tell if it was replaced or not the belt will be in perfect shape. No knicks or anything. You do not have to remove any covers, you will be able to see it as soon as you open the hood.

Thank you so much. Im going to check that before I bring it to the dealer.

Guest hanijamal

ive got about 105,000 Km's on my 01

my dealership has not yet recommended a timing chain change... im guessing in the next 20,000Km's

That's playing it safe.

You can afford to wait till 160K km (100K miles) before having it checked. But as most experts say, the chain should last as long as the engine.