Registered users (members) don’t see this ad!

Sign in to follow this  
Guest lsw00kor

'94 Corolla Mileage - Bad Or Good?

Guest lsw00kor

Hello everyone, I have a '94 Corolla with the 1.6L engine.

I've owned it since '2001 as the third owner.

My gas mileage is about 220 miles, and since I use this only to commute between my home and university, it's absolutely local roads with the speed limit from 25, 35, to 45, at best. From my home to my university, well, it's only 5 min. At other times, it's ony grocery shopping. I always drive alone and the trunk is almost empty.

By simple calculation, 220mile/40 liter = 20.69 mile/gallon = 8.8 km/ liter is obtaind.

Do you guys think that this is OK for the age of my car and the roads that I usually take? Of course on the highway, it is much better, but even on local roads, I was expecting somehting like 10km/ liter, considering Corolla's high reptation and its engne size.

I would appreciate your advice.

Thanks in advance.

Definitely sounds high to me unless you drive very aggressively. It comes out at 11.35 l /100 km (that's how mileage is quoted in metric btw) while the current corollas are rated for about 7 l / 100 km in the city. Your car is lighter and has a smaller engine so you shouldn't need that much more fuel to move around. Your expectations (10 km/l) are probably conservative.

Start by checking the basic stuff like tire pressure. Then search around the forums; there have been a few other threads about fuel economy (cleaning the throttle body valve seems to be quite popular). Or just wait for someone with better knowledge of that car to drop in here.

How many miles do you have on the car and type of transmission? Still sounds a bit low - but I've seen mileage that low depending on the driving conditions and car's state of tune.

I agree with euzeka - check the basics. See what type of maintenance was done on the car since you picked it up. The 1.6L is good on gas - but a little underpowered to pull around the Corolla. Other people have also complained about poorer gas mileage on that engine. What kind of mileage were you seeing on the highway?

Guest lsw00kor

Dear folks, thanks all for your kind replies.

Yes, I should have mentioned that my transmission is manual.

Current mileage on my car is almost 100,000miles.

And on the highway, I think it is around 330miles, which means 13.2km/ liter, or, 7.58Liter/100km. Now, even with this highway figure, it is only as good as the current Corolla's in-city performance.

I'm worried.

Actually, for the last 3 years, I didn't really care about mileage, to be honest.

I fuel my car only twice a month, so it's even hard to recognize the problem.

Thanks for your help.

I'll start checking.

Well keep in mind that the EPA numbers are in somewhat unrealistic conditions ("highway" driving is at ~50 mph and "city" doesn't have nearly as many stops as real cities). 7.6 l /100 km on the highway isn't that far off given that your car is older and non-vvti. I get at best 6 l / 100 km when I drive politely (around 110 km/h on summer tires). Driving faster (120-125 km/h) will quickly increase consumption around 7 l / 100 km.

This might seem disappointing but it's still way better than most other cars (eg. a '02 manual focus at similar speeds will easily sink 9 l / 100 km).

Edited by euzeka

Guest willkorver

Something doesn't sound right. I have a "94 dx auto 4a-fe with 124,000 miles and I just drove from Pennsylvania to Florida (approx 900 mile) at between 75-80 miles/hr with a car heavily loaded (books, buckets of bolts, tools) (the headlights were aming high and on bad spots I hit the bump stops in the rear suspension) and I got 36, 34, and 35.5miles/gallon on the 3 tanks of gas I used.

Since then I have checked my around town gas milage and saw a tank at 30mpg and a tank at 28 mpg. The worst I ever saw on this car was when I borrowed it from its previous owner and drove it for a few weeks beating the piss out of it. I got 24mpg then. Beating the piss out of it means the brakes were smoking on a 3 occassions when I got out of the car.

P.S. this car has run on either Amsoil or Mobil 1 since the 49,000 mile mark and the previous owner and I both use Cheverons Techron fuel injector cleaner every 3,000 miles.

Check:

tire pressure & alignment

Oil cleanness & wt ( P.S. never use Fram oil filters)

spark plugs, wires & ignition components

O2, TPS, MAF sensors and EGR

Fuel filter, fuel pump

Air filter and clean throttle body

Check Feet for extreme amounts of lead

Check the Italized (sic) items last

(I assume a MAF sensor since Iv'e only driven Supras the last 15 years and haven't started to fiddle with this car yet. Ive only had this car a month.

I must say I'm disappointed in the lack of info on these cars.

Guest willkorver
Dear folks, thanks all for your kind replies.

I'm worried.

Actually, for the last 3 years, I didn't really care about mileage, to be honest.

I fuel my car only twice a month, so it's even hard to recognize the problem.

Thanks for your help.

I'll start checking.

By the tone of your reply I would not surmize the you are in the habit of mashing the pedal to the floor on a regular basis so forgo my suggestion to check the lead content of you feet! HeHe!

Guest oleg05

With my Corolla'99 I have average mileage of 27-30 mpg, more in winter, less in summer. It's mixed city-highway. Long drive on highway gives as good as 36 mpg. It's getting slightly worse with time, first two years was about 32 average.

I guess it shoud be normal.

I used fuel injector cleaner a year ago but did not notice any difference :(

Guest natcire

I have a 93 DX Corolla and do mostly city driving. The car gets 20-22 mpg city and 25-27 freeway. Very sad with result. My old 83 EFI Corolla LE got 32 city and 38 freeway. Even the old Previa got 24 on the freeway fully loaded. I was wondering if others with 93 are having such poor gas mileage. The 93 car only has 118,000 miles on it. Am thinking maybe this was a lemon year for Toyota. I have only had the car 2 years.

natcire

I have a 93 DX Corolla and do mostly city driving. The car gets 20-22 mpg city and 25-27 freeway. Very sad with result. My old 83 EFI Corolla LE got 32 city and 38 freeway. Even the old Previa got 24 on the freeway fully loaded. I was wondering if others with 93 are having such poor gas mileage. The 93 car only has 118,000 miles on it. Am thinking maybe this was a lemon year for Toyota. I have only had the car 2 years.

natcire

'93 DX here.

I generally get 29-30 mpg city driving w/ a bit of highway thrown in. On long interstate trips I get around 38 mpg... though last summer I achieved 42 mpg on a trip to NY state. I think using the A/C helped... :blink: .

I'm bumping up against 180K miles.

If I had mileage like yours I'd be unhappy too.

natcire

Probably the car is out of tune or a sensor is bad. I would check the obvious stuff first to see why the fuel economy is low.

Basic maintenance items:

-Check tire pressures are good and even, not too low

-Alignment is on

-Brakes aren't dragging

-Ignition system in good shape (plugs, wires, distributor)

-Induction system is clear (good filter, no holes/leaks)

-Injectors are working correctly and clean

-Fuel system in good shape (fuel filter, pump, fittings)

-Obstruction or damage to exhaust system

-Cooling system in good shape (no clogs or sediments in cooling system)

-Correct weight of oil for engine, any oil consumption issues

-Clean throttle body

-Check condition of vacuum lines and hoses

-Check PCV valve

Other things to check:

-Check condition of EGR/EVAP system

-Condition of O2 sensors

-Any DTC set by ECM

-Slagged over catalytic converter

Especially at that age and mileage - O2 sensors can wear out - causing the system to trend the trim lean (run richer) sometimes very suddenly. PCV valve, EGR, and EVAP systems also play a big role in overall fuel economy and gnien efficiency.

Guest natcire

Thanks for suggestions. I will take the car in for the 120k tuneup (it just rolled past 120k this week) and hope that the shop will find things to replace and that it won't cost an arm and a leg. It has had it oil change, new tires, life-time alignment check up etc. But still suffering from poor gas mileage. I have even started shifting it to neutral when stopped at lights. Very frustrating...the car is suppose to get great gas mileage so I won't feel bad driving it.

Guest mrf5229

Hello everyone.

I have a 94 cororrl dx auto 4 speed. 1.8 litter

No extreme cold weather I live in Florida.

Car has 135,000 miles

Everytime I fill the car I get about 220 miles per tank.

Average come about 20mpg.

I only drive the car from school to home to work.

Each trip is about 10 minutes.

I am not an aggressive driver.

Itemes I have taken to check.

Replaced fuel filter (2x)

new gaped denso plugs

new pcv valve

new air filter

tire pressure

clean oill

back exaustt pressure check and passed

timing belt checked and passed

(sometimes timing belt might skip a tooth and engine can run fine, yet causing the car to run rich)

Injectors checked for leakage and checked that it maintains proper psi

air sencor checked

o2 sensor resistence checked and passed (no engine light is on)

(could no engine light be on and o2 sensor be faulty?)

coolant temperature checked and good.

I took this vehicle to my mechanic and he is puzzled also. He thinks the ecm is the only component that could be faulty.

I have tried injector cleaner and no improvements were notted.

I am going to Autozone and check if any codes are registering that the car is not picking up.

Has anybody has similar situation and fixed poor gas miliage.

I am open for any sugestions.

Thanks everyone!!

Make sure that alignment is good and that the brakes are dragging on you. O2 sensors can be tricky - might have to run an oscillascope or some other meter and backprobe the sensor. Should produce a sinusoidal signal with in a certain voltage range.

Might help to have the injectors ultrasonically cleaned or replaced - or checked to makes sure that the solenoids are OK.

Check the condition of the ignition system - coil, rotor, cap, wires, etc. Coils do go bad after a certain amount of time - you can check the resistance of the primary and secondary coils when hot and cool and see if there is a problem there.

1994 model years were OBD-I - you can run the onboard self diagnostic checks to pull up codes.

You can try switching to a ligher weight oil or synthetic oil - many have seen improvements in fuel economy with that switch.

Good Luck.

On the original post, lsw00kor said he only gets 220 per tank in the 5 minute drive back-and-forth from his home to University. The car would barely be getting warmed-up when he arrived. This, I feel is not a problem with the car but in the way it is being operated. It is constantly being operated while it is cold, causing a much richer air/fuel mixture.