Registered users (members) don’t see this ad!

Sign in to follow this  
Guest greg_indiana

Tornado Fuel Saver

Guest greg_indiana

Has anyone installed a Tornado Fuel Saver in their Corolla? If so, are you seeing an increase in mpg? Thanks.

If those things worked that well, and were so inexpensive and easy to install, would not the car manufacturers have already been implementing something like it in their cars? It seems like auto manufacturers would be champing at the bit for such an easy way to increase their CAFE (Corporate Average Fuel Economy) and get the EPA off their backs...

I think I'd almost prefer to pour snake oil into my crankcase to increase my HP by "up to" 12% and my fuel economy by "up to" 28%....

Guest unrealii
I think I'd almost prefer to pour snake oil into my crankcase to increase my HP by "up to" 12% and my fuel economy by "up to" 28%....

Common now, you know neither are good for you :P

Guest ddachel

Greg,

I have installed (over two years now) the Tornado on a 91 Ply. mini van and a 89 Camry, and have seen an improvement in MPG and also performance.

I'm currently waiting for my 04 Corolla S to be delivered, and the first thing that I will do is put in a Tornado with a Amsoil/K&N filter. I don't care if it improves the gas mileage, but feel the few extra HP will more than offset the cost.

Don

I would suspect this device ot work well on an older car, but show very marginal improvements on a newer with current generation FI. This device will onl;y impove performance if there is insuficeient mixing of the fuel and air. With newer style "shower" type injectors fuel mixing is less of a problem. Any rotation of the air may actually reduce the forward momentum of the air into the combustion chamber. Thsi would actually reduce HP at higher RPM's. At hgih ari velocitites, common on newer high compression engines, you might even generate turbulence with thsi device further reducing the air flow. Is suspect that there is a resonance frequency at high air speeds that could cause an ugly flat spot that the ECU may not be able to correct.

Some folks swear that the Tornado works - pointing to "butt dyno" HP increases and 1-2MPG increases.

The problem is that "butt dyno" readings are notoriously inaccurate, and my own gas mileage can change on a tankful by changing gas brands, or checking MPG after an oil change, or a number of other factors. Driving in wind and rain versus a clear day for a week can easily alter your gas mileage, too.

I have heard reports of the 'vanes' on the Tornado breaking off and falling into the intake. Not good.

Personally, if it gives you peace of mind - it might be worth it. Me? I'll take that $70 and invest in an improved intake filter and a few oil changes instead.

Guest unrealii

I dont know if any of you noticed, but in the infomercial, they CHANGED the intake filter to a k&n when they added the tornado into the car.

Guest NJJeepYJ
if this sort of thing was so good, why din't toyota build corollas with them in the first place???

Same reason god didn't create big breasts on men....Women would be obsolete :o

if this sort of thing was so good, why din't toyota build corollas with them in the first place???

Same reason god didn't create big breasts on men....Women would be obsolete :o

Well, I wouldn't go that far... :o :blink:

Guest noobfever

No way would I drop one in.

I've never seen any device similar to it used by race crews on professional cars so I suspect it must certainly be no good.

Guest RollinRolla

Yo Yo, a local news channel did some investigation into things like the tornado, they said it didnt work or was at least unnoticeable. tad bit of info for anyone who cares

If you think about it anything that blocks the path of air into your engine is essentially restricting air flow, i wouldn't put one in for the simple reason that they restrict the flow of air which leads to slower acceleration and lower gas mileage. If you really want to increase your fuel economy your better off with a short ram intake or a cold air intake, they run for about 25 bucks on ebay after shipping.

If you think about it anything that blocks the path of air into your engine is essentially restricting air flow, i wouldn't put one in for the simple reason that they restrict the flow of air which leads to slower acceleration and lower gas mileage. If you really want to increase your fuel economy your better off with a short ram intake or a cold air intake, they run for about 25 bucks on ebay after shipping.

Agreed, but you do realize this thread is four years old right?

Only way this thing would help you out with MPG is if you sharpened the heck out of it and glued it to your accellerator pedal and drove barefoot. There are so many proven methods of obtaining better MPG. I'd stay away from the Tornado and try any of the following:

- Just drive slower

- Correct tire pressure

- Stop hauling around tons of crap in your trunk if you don't have too

- Experiment with local gas stations to see if there is a difference (probably not very noticcable, so just buy the cheapest)

- Upgrade fluids to higher viscosity

- Upgrade air filter (possible even a cold air intake)

- Upgrade to high flow mufler

- Try riding a bike every now and then

Good luck,

Dave