Registered users (members) don’t see this ad!

Sign in to follow this  
bhp02

Fuel grades

Sure it might be a Toyota forum. But all cars work on the same basic way.

I still have yet to see any proof provided by anyone, saying that with high grade fuel, you will get 500k+ miles without any problems. Or anything saying that lower grade octane fuel will cause fuel problems. If the higher octane fuel was any better. You would think auto manufactuers would put in this the manual. Suggesting to use a high octane fuel.

Isn't that what 87 octane or higher means? Otherwise they should say use 87 octane ONLY. It's not like 87 octane is hard to come by, if anything the higher stuff is hard to come by so why mention 87 or higher then? Unless they are saying use higher, but it will work on 87?. Anyways......the beat goes on...

Yes, If

I could get the premium cheap,

I would put premium. They do boldly

advertise that the premium blend with

petro canada has additional cleaners

although I am not familiar with any legal

issues related to that advertising.

The only problem I have with where

I live is that the motors and trannies

on toyotas outlive the body(destroyed from rust)

even with regular fuel. Typically at 150-200 k miles

rust up.

Of course other cars like my chrysler, the body will

last longer than the tranny and engine.(100k)

Guest surfinguy

the manual says 87 or higher just for the sake of elasticity. But it has nothing to do with quality. I have done soooo much research on this topic, and both toyota and shell say that using premium has no advantage whatsoever on the engines life. Premium is for high powered engines that need the extra power because the car is big or a racer(luxurie or sports cars). But Econo cars like civics and corolla's do not need premium, regular is actully the (recomended) grade and if not (because maybe regular ran out or someone felt like putting mid grade) putting the higher octanes will still be fine. But u will be wasting money and thats it. If u want to keep your engine clean use BRAND names like shell, that is what i use and i love it.

Guest unrealii

I hope this makes sense.

The higher octane, the harder it is to burn the fuel. Remember that. The lower octane, the easier it is for the fuel to burn. The reason higher performance engines need higher octanes is so that the gas/air compressed mixture does not ignite before the spark comes, which is known as predetonation/knock..whatever. By using a higher octane, these engines DESIGNED FOR HIGHER OCTANE can get more engery from the gas. If a lower octane was used, the mixture would ignite from the compression, heat, or whatver else that is not hte spark and slowly destroy the engine.

Now looking at a corolla motor, it was designed to run on 87. If you put any higher octane in there, you are requiring the ignition system burn a mixture which is more resistant to burning THAN IT WAS DESIGNED FOR. That is why they say that you will not get any extra performance by using higher octane in engines which do not require it. However, there are environmental variables which we cannot control...if for some reason the engine is predetonating at 87 octane you should move up. Im not very familiar with the corolla engine, but im sure there is a knock sensor on there which will detect knock and retard the timing if the engine were to knock. If this was the case and you fill in a higher octane fuel, you will most likely notice an increase in performance since the engine does not have to hold itself back.

Lastly, I have heard rumors that some honda engines such as the v6 in the accord is designed to run on regular gas, but will actually step it's performance up if a higher octane take advantage of the higher octane. Would toyota do this...maybe....but in a corolla, I doubt it.

Edited by unrealii