• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 danimalstwiztid

danimalstwiztid

Neutral

• Active Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 09:16 PM

i have a 2001 corolla with the VVT, well the bottom end is bad, and at Pull-A-Part in knoxville they dont have any whole engines and all the junkyards want $900 or more. Well i was told that the Bottom Short blocks are all the same on the 1ZZFE's. Like i could use a 99 non VVT engine block with the head from the 2001 corolla that i got which has the VVT, Is this true? If ya could let me know that would be great, Thanks My e-mail is Danimal_Dawg@yahoo.com

#2 fishexpo101

fishexpo101

I know Karate, Kung Fu, and 47 other dangerous words...

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,226 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 06:38 AM

That is correct - for that generation, the short blocks are identical.

Depending on what went bad and the condition of the 1999 block - might be wiser to get one from the 9th gen Corolla/Matrix/Vibe. Those have different a slightly different cam profile and an updated piston design. The latter helped with some serious engine oil consumption on some of the 8th gen models.

$900 is pretty steep for a 1ZZ-FE, unless it had low miles. Might want to see what is available outside of your immediate area - might be able to find a whole engine cheaper, even including the shipping/freight.

#3 danimalstwiztid

danimalstwiztid

Neutral

• Active Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 02:57 PM

Well If pull-a-part had one i could get it for $200. I can get a short block for $100 with warranty. But i just had to make sure the Short Blocks are the same. Will the short blocks from the 9th gen work with the head from the 8th gen VVT?

#4 fishexpo101

fishexpo101

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,226 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 03:21 PM

The 9th gen and 8th gen are interchangeable. A couple of people have already done that and reported that there were no issues so far.

#5 danimalstwiztid

danimalstwiztid

Neutral

• Active Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 07:05 PM

So wiring harness works? do you know where i can find a write up?

#6 fishexpo101

fishexpo101

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,226 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 09:09 AM

There was a decent write up on the old 9thgencorolla forum - but that site has been spotty/dead for some time. There is a new forum that was brought back by members of that forum, thye might have been able to recover that write up, but I don't remember off the top of my head.

If you are planning a swap - better to grab a factory service manual that count on an online source. Torque ratings, certain precautions needed, etc. are generally not be covered in any forum write up that I've seen. But you can use them to supplement the FSM - as some steps can be skipped to save time/pain.