9 replies to this topic

#1 FreeDilinquency

FreeDilinquency

1st Gear

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 02:58 PM

So I had to remove this kit because I sold the car (2001 Corolla S). Everything is in good condition, The whole kit has about 20k miles on it. Ran it at 11psi usually but up to 15psi on the stock block w/ 90k miles, never had an issue but you WILL need a new clutch even if you run it EVEN without a tune (which you can... but I don't advise it). W/O tune you'd be looking at full spool in 1st at 4000-5000 @ 15psi... 2nd 4000, 3rd 3500, 4th 2800, and it will spool at 2300 in 5th at WOT. With a tune and injectors you could run up to 21psi spiking higher (personally never done) and the spool is full @ 15psi <3000rpm in 1st if you can keep it from spinning... it will spin thru 3rd on stock tires. The 1ZZ-FE block on (at least my) corolla is extremely well built, but I'd suggest lowering compression if you want to run that much boost. The kit is capable of putting down at least 300whp, the only other person I know with a similar kit ran high 12s with no LSD @ ~114mph... he was running 15psi w/ injectors and a tune.

Anyway because it's used and I'm currently in need of cash I will be willing to part it out or sell the full kit for 2k OBO. I payed 3500 plus another 600 for a ceramic racing clutch (the stock one won't hold even at 1-3psi). Pics will be forthcoming. If anybody can name the exact model of turbo it would be helpful, I know it's a Garrett GT25/R or GT28/R... just not sure which.

Once I get the pics up everything should make more sense. I know a reasonable amount about cars but obviously not enough.

-FD

#2 FreeDilinquency

FreeDilinquency

1st Gear

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 06:04 PM

So title was too long... doesn't mention MBC,manifold (I believe TD04) and full piping, 24x8x4 FMIC, A pillar gauges. I think it's a Garret GT25R. When I get the chance to post pics hopefully you guys can tell me what Garrett DBB turbo it is. Oh yeah FMIC is 10 Row. Also have oil lines (turbo is oil cooled, one of the 3 gauges on the A-Pillar shows oil temp.. boost, and (I think) oil pressure.

Pics of Stafford Fabrication Turbo Kit

Figured out how to post a link, shows 8 pics (accidentally posted twice) of all the parts I've so far scrounged from my garage.

If anybody wants more pics, specific stuff, or if this link isn't working please tell me and I will take new ones and post them asap.

THX!

FD

Edited by FreeDilinquency, 30 May 2012 - 12:10 AM.

#3 fishexpo101

fishexpo101

I know Karate, Kung Fu, and 47 other dangerous words...

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,305 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:45 AM

Hard to tell by the pics - but Stafford kits at the time were generally sold with a T3/T04E hybrid, unless you got one of the newer kits. But the castings for the GT25 and GT28 series are pretty hard to differentiate, unless you have them sitting side by side. That said, the T3/T04E with a 60 trim and the GT25 series were the most popular for the 1ZZ-FE engine - easier to spool, sits right at the meat of the powerband. If I'd have to guess, could be a frankestein'd turbo - it sort of looks like a GT2560R due to the size of the actuator - but those were generally bolted onto a bracket and not welded to the housing. Could be a modded T3/T04E hybrid. One of those things that you can't quite know for sure - as Stafford Fabrication were also running revisions when releasing these kits - quite a few 1ZZ-FE blew up before they got the bugs worked out.

Trying to figure out exactly what you have - from the pics it looks like:
- FMIC
- intake tubing with couplers
- front downpipe
- GT25? series turbo
- turbo manifold
- Vortech FMU
- some black box

There anything else not pictured?

You mentioned MBC (Manual Boost Controller) along with the Vortech FMU, that means that anyone with a stock 1ZZ-FE fuel system will have to convert to a return style from the OEM returnless, as the FMU was designed to hooked in series with the existing FPR and return line to maintain safe AFR under boost. Very lucky to run that much boost without blowing anything up - sometimes you get lucky, injectors might be running richer than you think - fuel pump might be moving more fuel than usual, saving you from costly detonation.

#4 FreeDilinquency

FreeDilinquency

1st Gear

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 12:19 AM

I did upgrade the fuel pump to a 255L/hr, but other than the oil line there were no other real modifications besides tuning the stock ECU (I think the black box controls the wastgate actuator, I know it has a BOV and it's noisy @15psi. I remember SWIM raced my car against a '04 Dodge Neon SRT-4 Stage 1 and although his LSD had SWIM beat under 30 as soon as SWIM had traction SWIM destroyed him with no tune @ 11psi. Your probably right I'm lucky it didn't blow but I do think this block can handle 11psi safely. I know the pistons are forged stock... that or the rods and I believe it's sleeved stock too.

As far as parts I know I have ALL the IC piping, there are 2 boxes I haven't opened yet. The only part you didn't mention was the A-Pillar gauges. The Current down pipe connects to the stock exhaust, which is restrictive but also left my car far less noticeable (sleeper).

As far as the turbo I'm going to post closer pics of the numbers printed on it... I know this kit was a prototype so you may be right about the T03E/T04 hybrid. It is a Garrett DBB turbo just not sure which... from what you said about spool it sounds like it's probably a 25R because with a tune it spooled very well in any gear except 1st due to traction. More pics to come will update tomorrow!

Thanks for the input!

FD

Edited by FreeDilinquency, 31 May 2012 - 12:22 AM.

#5 FreeDilinquency

FreeDilinquency

1st Gear

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 12:43 PM

My link to 3 new pics plus old ones

On the Turbo there are three things printed (apart from Garrett Research and some numbers I haven't bothered to read):
M - 4
PT -2
AR .48

Any Ideas on what kind of turbo this is?

I can verify that the A - pillar gauges are BOOST at bottom, OIL TEMP in middle, and OIL PRESSURE at top. Boost tops at 2 bar/30psi, oil temp goes red at 220 and continues to 300, and oil pressure goes to 100.

After looking around online I found it's either a T03E/T4 hybrid or a T03E with .48AR 57 or 60 trim. Ill measure it later today to find out which trim it is, but does anybody know how to tell the Hybrid from the T03E?

Found more IC piping and added more pics

Edited by FreeDilinquency, 31 May 2012 - 05:51 PM.

#6 FreeDilinquency

FreeDilinquency

1st Gear

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 06:11 PM

I measured the compressor inlet (the small side) and it says 42mm but I think that may be the outside diameter because the inside is more like 37-38 mm. The outlet is very close to 60 but could be 57 depending on whether it's the inside diameter or the outside. The exhaust outlet is 60mm exactly on the inside diameter, the outside is closer to 70mm. The exhaust to down pipe outlet is exactly 60mm inside diameter, I have to remove the manifold to find the exhaust inlet. IDK It appears to be a GT2560R or a GT2557R. My new pics show the intake side of the IC piping but I have yet to find the intake air filter.

Once I remove the turbo from the manifold I'm hoping I can measure it and find out whether it's a Hybrid or a T03E.

Please take a look at the parts, I got a good pic of the BOV (Says Vortech Type 1) and the large intake IC piping peace with the Stafford Fabrication logo.

I have a pool in my backyard to I can pressure test any of the IC parts including the FMIC. Water exerts more than 1 atmosphere of pressure at less than 3 feet deep and the pool is 9 feet deep, and I can video all of it. If there is a leak it (whatever non-iron and/or non-electronic part I test) will take on water and bubbles will come up. As I stated previously,I am willing to part it out if there is interest but I'd prefer 2k just to clean up my garage. If you see any parts you like please tell me! The down pipe starts out at about 3" but it's been welded to a ring that lowers the diameter to meet the stock exhaust (2.5"?

The black box has only 2-4 wires coming out of it, it also has what appears to either an air or fuel line... IDK which

Thanks!

edit: oh the black box appears to have either a fuel or air inlet and several wires along with an air outlet. I still don't know what this does.

Edited by FreeDilinquency, 31 May 2012 - 08:26 PM.

#7 FreeDilinquency

FreeDilinquency

1st Gear

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 06:23 PM

So I had to create whole new googl+ account and add ALL the photos because somehow I lost the old password and my iCloud email is retarded and only works when apple sends me stupid crap.

HERE IS THE LINK TO ALL THE PHOTOS:Here is the turbo kit

#8 fishexpo101

fishexpo101

I know Karate, Kung Fu, and 47 other dangerous words...

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,305 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 08:53 AM

Sure looks like a GT25 series - but the AR.48 stamp is a sure sign it is a T3/T04E hybrid turbo. Pretty popular turbo around that time - can be had with A/R of 0.48, 0.63 (Standard), and 0.82. That also makes more sense and power starts to really swell around 3K RPMs to 7K RPMs (meat of the 1ZZ-FE natural powerband) and the smaller A/R better volumetric efficiency on smaller displacement engines like the 1ZZ-FE.

Can't say without taking the turbo apart - but given Stafford Fabrications history with that turbo and the approximate age of the kit (that was "the" turbo at the time, very popular with the Honda, DSM, and Nissan crowd) - sounds like it is most likely the T3/T04E hybrid turbo (T3 turbine and a T4 compressor).

Could also be a T3 Super 60 - only way to check is to measure the inlet and outlets of the housings. The outlets on both are 2" diameter, the inlet on the T3/T04 hybrid is 2.75", the inlet on the T3 Super 60 is 2.33" diameter. Both have the .48 A/R and peak over 300HP.

#9 FreeDilinquency

FreeDilinquency

1st Gear

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 10:41 PM

Sure looks like a GT25 series - but the AR.48 stamp is a sure sign it is a T3/T04E hybrid turbo. Pretty popular turbo around that time - can be had with A/R of 0.48, 0.63 (Standard), and 0.82. That also makes more sense and power starts to really swell around 3K RPMs to 7K RPMs (meat of the 1ZZ-FE natural powerband) and the smaller A/R better volumetric efficiency on smaller displacement engines like the 1ZZ-FE.

Can't say without taking the turbo apart - but given Stafford Fabrications history with that turbo and the approximate age of the kit (that was "the" turbo at the time, very popular with the Honda, DSM, and Nissan crowd) - sounds like it is most likely the T3/T04E hybrid turbo (T3 turbine and a T4 compressor).

Could also be a T3 Super 60 - only way to check is to measure the inlet and outlets of the housings. The outlets on both are 2" diameter, the inlet on the T3/T04 hybrid is 2.75", the inlet on the T3 Super 60 is 2.33" diameter. Both have the .48 A/R and peak over 300HP.

Thanks for the info, Yeah my guess would be the same as yours... from what I saw it's probably the GT25 .48 AR Hybrid. Anyway, I'm open to any offers on any of the parts. The kit works great, and if there is any kind of problem with spool or any kind of functionality I'll take the parts back and return your money (as long as you don't go run 30psi and destroy it 3 months after I sell it to you and come back... basically any reasonable problems and you'll get ur money back, as long as I get the parts back). So yeah... it's all for sale. Kit makes the 1ZZ into a beast of an engine... looks nice too. I should've taken my strut brace back when I sold the car (stupid... left it on the car) but I had that lol. 300hp sounds about right after I got it tuned... but I was running stock compression. It spooled unbelievably fast in 5th... after I had the governor taken off the car would have probably done 160 but I chickened out @ 140. I was always a bit disappointed that my Corolla S never could hang with a Type R, but after I put this kit on it didn't just hang with it lol. I recommend getting larger tires, you will have wheelspin through 3rd with a good tune and 15psi on stock tires. Milage wasn't affected much (probably because I was running lean)... went from 40 to 30-35mpg depending on how I drove it. Probably worse with alloys.

FD

#10 FreeDilinquency

FreeDilinquency

1st Gear

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 10:52 PM

On a bit of an OT note, after I sold the car I went back to bikes, got an 09' Yamaha YZF-R6 and found a totally new definition of speed... 1st gear topped at 17500rpm @ 83mph.... I had ridden a Honda CM400 before (sold it) but was not prepared for the ridiculous power of this bike (134hp stock).... no car short of 600hp could come close under 140mph.... stock 10 second quarter. Anyway rode it for a year and got a front fork wobble on the 405N and layed it down @ 92mph in the breakdown of the century blvd exit. Lesson learned... should've gone with a sport bike and not the fastest 600 on the market. Anyway $1500 worth of helmet and leathers plus not hitting anything allowed me to slide 600ft with only slight road rash on my left arm and a new respect for the power even a 600 can put down (384lbs... 134hp.... too fast for me!). So ended my bike... luckily not me. I always see guys riding GSXR-750s and R6s with T shirts and imagine the bone grafts I'd need if I had been wearing that stuff. Lack of skill/experience with that power was a huge factor, but still, there were many times cars almost killed me before then.

edit: maybe a bit more than a bit OT

Edited by FreeDilinquency, 07 June 2012 - 10:54 PM.