• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Dawnrenae

Dawnrenae

Neutral

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 12:13 PM

Yes, we read the manual, we've searched other forums, we've tried the whole turning the key to the left, and right, and back again... UGH...

A little info first....

Last weekend I backed into a sign. I knocked the spoiler off the trunk, no dents, no broken cords, etc. For the rest of the week we had no issues opening the trunk.
Then on Thursday, we had a freeze, and the trunk won't open. We've tried to defrost it, no luck, the inside latch works fine, and trunk pops, but doesn't open...
The key unlocks it, but yet again, still doesn't open... Maybe the spoiler is stuck on something keeping it from opening...

I can't get the seats open inside, as we all know the latch to release them is in the trunk...

I've tried reaching my arm in to move the spoiler to see if that helps, can't reach in far enough.

If anyone has any ideas... Please share.

Thanks,
-Dawn Renae

#2 fishexpo101

fishexpo101

I know Karate, Kung Fu, and 47 other dangerous words...

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,226 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 12:30 PM

Hello and Welcome to the forums.

Did you try and defrost all the ice around the trunk perimeter (note ice might be on the truck seal itself)? If I see front on my car, there is agood chance that the truck is frozen to the seals, and will not open. If you heard a "pop" from the trunk, as you unlocked up - might try prying up the trunk lid. A little warm water can help melt away any ice that might be interfering with the trunk operation. Have you tried the lock on the outsdie of the trunk (note - check the position of the key hole - if it is horizontal - means you have enabled the valet lockout, turn the key CW to veritcal, then continue turning CW to unlock.)

Pushing down on the trunk lid as you actuate the key can help too sometimes. There is a chance that the latch itself stuck or has come disconnected from the actuator. That is a little tough to fix - basically means the locking mechanism just free wheels inside, not a whole lot you can do about that (had that happen on an older car, ended up drilling an acess hold to push the actuator rod back in.)

#3 Dawnrenae

Dawnrenae

Neutral

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 12:48 PM

Hello and Welcome to the forums.

Did you try and defrost all the ice around the trunk perimeter (note ice might be on the truck seal itself)? If I see front on my car, there is agood chance that the truck is frozen to the seals, and will not open. If you heard a "pop" from the trunk, as you unlocked up - might try prying up the trunk lid. A little warm water can help melt away any ice that might be interfering with the trunk operation. Have you tried the lock on the outsdie of the trunk (note - check the position of the key hole - if it is horizontal - means you have enabled the valet lockout, turn the key CW to veritcal, then continue turning CW to unlock.)

Pushing down on the trunk lid as you actuate the key can help too sometimes. There is a chance that the latch itself stuck or has come disconnected from the actuator. That is a little tough to fix - basically means the locking mechanism just free wheels inside, not a whole lot you can do about that (had that happen on an older car, ended up drilling an acess hold to push the actuator rod back in.)

Hi, Thanks. We are trying to defrost now. Worried about the hot water, so using a hair dryer.
If we get it open, we're going to take it to toyota today, over a 100 mile drive, but gotta have that trunk. LOL

As far as prying, we've tried that too. UGH... Nothing seems to be working. Think maybe the latch mechanism might be messed up...

Thanks again for your information.

#4 Big_Beard

Big_Beard

1st Gear

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 12:35 AM

The trunk on my 2003 Corolla CE often freezes in the winter. I always keep a can of lock deicer in the glove compartment.

When snow melts it seems to run down the trunk into the lock and then freezes at night (when I generally find I have problems).

Anyways a shot of the deicer seems to work well.