Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2007 Corolla-- Recurring Cel-- P0353

Guest Mommy9701

Greetings. It's great to be among other Corolla owners. I am on my second Corolla, but have been very annoyed by a recurring problem. I hope someone can help. Here goes:

I have a 2007 Corolla CE, 5 speed, with --- 101,000 miles --- yes, already! However, the CEL came on 3 weeks ago, and the car promptly started shaking and sputtering violently. I had it diagnosed, and the result was P0353 Ignition Coil "C" Primary/Secondary. So I ordered the part from Toyota, replaced the coil, and cleared the code. Once again, my car ran great. However, 100 miles later, I had to get gas and when I turned my car back on, the CEL was shining at me. Sure enough, the shaking and sputtering problems returned. A few days later I tried it again, and when I started it, the light was off. And it ran beautifully, so I thought it would be fine. But it came on again, and the same symptoms returned.

What could be the problem? Perhaps the ignition assembly? Or maybe something bigger? I will be financially able to fix it in two weeks, but just wanted to get some input on what the root of the problem may be so that I don't waste time or money. How long of a repair time if I take it to a shop?

Anyone else have the same problem?

Needless to say, I am very leary to drive it even down the street. But does anyone think it would be okay for 50 more miles so that I don't have to pay a tow truck to take it to a mechanic?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hello and welcome to the forums.

When you got the initial code - did you happen to pull the sparkplugs and read them (i.e., compare them visually for any gross differences - heavy deposits, different color, oil fouling, fuel fouling, etc.)?

Like most of the OBDII codes - just because the computer says that you have a problem with coil #3, does not guarantee that is the culprit. The shop should have performed some diagnostic work to find the underlying cause of the initial check engine condition. I hope that you kept the old part - as there is a good chance that the original one is fine.

A P0353 can point to several potential problem areas. Problems could be anything from a bad sparkplug, to a bad coil, to electrical connection issues and/or wiring issues, to a PCM failure.

A bad plug could cause the driver in the coil to draw too much juice - the P0353 CEL is a multitrip detection. Takes a set number of failed conditions over a set number of start and stop cycles to set the CEL. Once that happens, the car goes into a "limp" mode to protect itself - probably what is causing the stumbling and drivability issues you are having. If the plug checks out - there could be a wiring issue causing the failure or intermittent signal to the PCM. One thing you can try out is swapping in new plugs (if you haven't aready changed them - Iridiums last up to 120K miles, but depending on driving situation, could wear out much sooner) and swapping the coil packs from one cylinder to another and see if the CEL follows the coil or stays with that particular cylinder/wiring connection. If the CEL moves with the coil pack (i.e., you swapped the #3 coil for #1 and the new CEL is P0531) - then the coil is the problem. If it stay on the same cylinder/wiring (stays P0353) - then you need to do some more diagnostic work.

I'm hoping it is not the later - as the car is well over the powertrain warranty and federal emissions warranty. Some of the later 9th generation Corollas (2005-2006 in particular) have experienced PCM failures (Powertrain Control Module - basically the engine's "brain"). Was limited to a certain batch of PCMs to a set model years - but a few outside of the range seemed to have similar issues. Many were just replaced, under warranty, and the problem never came back. Good Luck.

Sounds like the ECU crapped out.

Guest Immo

I am having same problem. Changed coil c. Then took it to toyota dealer who Said problem is in engine harness. Changed engine harness for 500 dollars but CEL came back again. Now replacing the ECM. I heard there's a recall for this problem too.

• 149 posts

Be sure to get your $500.00 back .....

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)