Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Bad Bearings, A Common Problem With 03 Corolla?

by bhp02, April 16, 2009

guys I have about 110k miles and now the 2 rear wheel bearings are going bad, now , the mechanic stated

that the hub needs to be replaced with the bearings, and its very expensive, even a no name brand...

What has happened to the reputation of the corolla, I think the qualitty is no longer there.

I've already replaced one front bearing few years ago.

The problem is the whole hub has to be replaced and a simpler repair has now turned into a costly one.

Are we witnessing the americanization of the japanese business model ??

guys I have about 110k miles and now the 2 rear wheel bearings are going bad, now , the mechanic statedthat the hub needs to be replaced with the bearings, and its very expensive, even a no name brand...

What has happened to the reputation of the corolla, I think the qualitty is no longer there.

The problem is the whole hub has to be replaced and a simpler repair has now turned into a costly one.

Wheel bearings routinely go bad on 100K+ cars, even Toyotas, though if you got 3 of them, I guess you are not very lucky this time. If it's any consolation, they are easy to replace as long as you can turn a wrench. The part is nowhere near expensive: $70-80 (maybe your mechanic wants to replace more than just the hubs). Frankly, I am glad that they are not serviceable anymore because taking the bearing out is such a PITA, it's not even worth your time unless you have the right equipment (bearing extractor tool and a press). This way, I know I did my best to save money.

guys I have about 110k miles and now the 2 rear wheel bearings are going bad, now , the mechanic statedthat the hub needs to be replaced with the bearings, and its very expensive, even a no name brand...

Wheel bearings routinely go bad on 100K+ cars, even Toyotas, though if you got 3 of them, I guess you are not very lucky this time. If it's any consolation, they are easy to replace as long as you can turn a wrench. The part is nowhere near expensive: $70-80 (maybe your mechanic wants to replace more than just the hubs). Frankly, I am glad that they are not serviceable anymore because taking the bearing out is such a PITA, it's not even worth your time unless you have the right equipment (bearing extractor tool and a press). This way, I know I did my best to save money.

well, the hub and the bearing are expensive, I don't know where you can get them for 70 bucks ??

Funny, there was a day not that long ago when cars would not make it to 100K miles. Here you are 110K and are disappointed with a few failed bearings. I'm not making light of your opinion regarding quality but just found it interesting.

I also don't think the newer models compare favorably with the older models in terms of bulletproof design but I might be biased.

Jay in MA

I know that for some reason - the 9th gen Corolla was more prone to wheel bearing issues than the previous generation. Not sure if it s a design aspect or a change of vendors. I would double check that the alignment is spot on before you replace the bearing - not much you can do about the road conditions.

Still - 100K+ miles on a sealed bearing is considered about right. But your right about them being expensive - unless you have the equipment on hand to press the bearing out - the complete hub is more of a bolt on affair, less of a hassle to remove and install - but you pay for that convenience too.

Funny, there was a day not that long ago when cars would not make it to 100K miles. Here you are 110K and are disappointed with a few failed bearings. I'm not making light of your opinion regarding quality but just found it interesting.

I also don't think the newer models compare favorably with the older models in terms of bulletproof design but I might be biased.

Jay in MA

guys, what I am upset about is the fact that the bearings cannot be changed, that the hub has to be changed also.

Changing bearings on the older cars used to be so easy, just slip off the drums, remove the pin and grease cap,

take out the bearings, grease them, put them back in, a 10.00 job now a 150-$400 job at the dealership.

Jay in MA

guys, what I am upset about is the fact that the bearings cannot be changed, that the hub has to be changed also.

Changing bearings on the older cars used to be so easy, just slip off the drums, remove the pin and grease cap,

take out the bearings, grease them, put them back in, a 10.00 job now a 150-$400 job at the dealership.

but theres no misadjustment now, no 'oops not enough grease' or oops too much grease. the bearings are sealed from water so splashing through a puddle won't put water into your bearings. also, brake jobs take less time. pop off the rotor and cut it. not dissassemble the hub, clean/inspect/repack the bearings then adjust. so what you loose out in one area you gain in many many other areas.

well, the hub and the bearing are expensive, I don't know where you can get them for 70 bucks ??

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecat...carcode=1432910

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecat...carcode=1432910
can't find the hub assembly in your link, the hub assembly that houses the wheel bearings

you need to drill down through the online catalog.

guys , stop defending corolla 2003, the quality has degraded as far as the wheel bearings are concerned.

My neighbours had corolla 2001, another, a camry, the 94, they never changed the wheel bearings

over 150k miles. I know corolla is a reliable car, but no need to defend, unless you own shares in the company

Given that you originally asked "Are we witnessing the americanization of the japanese business model ??" perhaps this should be placed in the General Discussion section where opinions such as those posted are allowed.

Forget to maintain those old open bearings and you won't be going 110K miles without failure and you will be replacing parts like spindles as well.

Just my 2 cents.

guys , stop defending corolla 2003, the quality has degraded as far as the wheel bearings are concerned.My neighbours had corolla 2001, another, a camry, the 94, they never changed the wheel bearings

over 150k miles. I know corolla is a reliable car, but no need to defend, unless you own shares in the company

bhp02 - don't get us wrong here - I think you have had some exceptionally bad luck with your bearings on your 2003 Corolla. My 2002 Corolla is looking at a possible front wheel bearing here soon - some other 8th gen Corollas have replaced their bearings at less than 100K miles.

Two possibilities:

- bad bearings (manufacturing defect)

- something that is laterally loading the bearings or otherwise causing the bearings to have a shorter lifespan.

When they replaced the bearings - did they say exactly what caused it to fail? Just dried out, metal galling, broken race, etc. You can get a lot of information from how the bearing failed in the first place. Both rear bearings going out the same time? Pretty unusual, could be load/chassis related or driving conditions/road hazard.

I have a 98 VE, are mine sealed, and what do they sound like when they wear out? I've got 150000mi now.

Thanks.

High pitched chirping, scratching, humming, or grinding sound - depends on how far gone the bearing is. Sometimes, the bearing will not make any noise at all - you catch it from excessive wheel movement or tires that wear really funny.

Here is a youtube clip of a bearing that is pretty far gone on a VW Golf GTI.

High pitched chirping, scratching, humming, or grinding sound - depends on how far gone the bearing is. Sometimes, the bearing will not make any noise at all - you catch it from excessive wheel movement or tires that wear really funny.

Here is a youtube clip of a bearing that is pretty far gone on a VW Golf GTI.

Thanks, I knew there was a reason I shake my tires every time it's on a lift!

i've seen worse than that. had one in just last week.....

no balls left in the bearing, full metal on metal, almost ground through the races and into the knuckle. rotor had cut into the caliper and caliper bracket, and the whole thing got so hot that the wheel finish turned brown, center cap and lug nut caps melted off, and valve stem burned out of the wheel! only thing that stopped him was the flat tire. also ruined the axle, melted the outer boot and all the grease melted and slung out.

Given that you originally asked "Are we witnessing the americanization of the japanese business model ??" perhaps this should be placed in the General Discussion section where opinions such as those posted are allowed.

Forget to maintain those old open bearings and you won't be going 110K miles without failure and you will be replacing parts like spindles as well.

Just my 2 cents.

guys , stop defending corolla 2003, the quality has degraded as far as the wheel bearings are concerned.My neighbours had corolla 2001, another, a camry, the 94, they never changed the wheel bearings

In a sense, it is an americanization of the japanese business model, have parts fail at certain pre determined points so that the dealership and the parts manufacturer can make $$ when the owner needs to come back for a repair.

The older models than mine, pre 2003, did not have these kind of problems.

The sealed bearings did not fail even at 200k miles on my neighbours cars. the open bearings are so easy to replace and cheap, dirt cheap to lubricate, one has to wonder,( if you use the excuse of having sealed bearing as a reason for

the premature failure,) what the benefit is to the consumer ??

Obviously, it is a huge benefit to the company and the dealership.

This is precisely the kind of thinking that got the american car companies into trouble,and I hope that

is not what toyota is now thinking.

Wheel bearing failure can be catastrophic and I chose to change them at the first sign of failing

like noise, excessive play, etc.

I have a 2005 Corolla and one of my rear wheel bearings was gone at 60,000 miles. I wrote up an easy DIY to replace the entire rear hub bearing assembly which takes about 50 minutes.

Signs that your wheel bearings are shot:

- droning, humming or resonating noise at certain speeds

- if you take a curve left at that speed and the sound lessens because weight is taken off the left side, then one of your left wheel bearings may be worn

- jack up the wheel and spin it freely. If the wheel bearing is damaged, it may make a grinding sound

- if the wheel has any side to side or top to bottom play, then the bearing may be damaged

DIY to replace rear hub bearing assembly in 2003-2008 Corollas with rear drum brakes

Parts needed:

- the OEM Toyota rear hub bearing assembly WITH ABS is much cheaper ($135) than the one without ABS ($260) and still fits cars without ABS. Other brands start at around $90.

- 12mm and 21mm (or lug nut wrench) sockets

- breaker bar

- torque wrench

- 2 M8×1.25 bolts. I bought these at Lowes in their specialty METRIC bolt section for $1. They are 8mm wide with 1.25mm thread pitch.

- jack stand

- wheel chocks

Steps:

1. Chock the front wheels

2. Loosen the wheel lug nuts (21mm)

3. Jack up the car

4. Place a jack stand

5. Remove the wheel

6. Release the hand brake

7. Screw the two M8×1.25 bolts into the holes in the drum brake to push it away from the hub. It may be rusted to the hub so prepare for some cracking sounds. Remove the drum once it is free

8. Remove the four 12mm bolts on the back of the hub. You may need a breaker bar. Do not use thin walled 1/4" drive sockets--I broke two trying to remove those bolts.

9. While holding the backing plate and taking care not to disturb the brake parts and brake line, pull the hub out of the suspension arm. Once it is out, reinsert the bolts to hold the backing plate to the suspension arm so that it doesn't hang by the brake line.

10. Line up the bolts and insert the new hub. Torque the bolts to 45 ft·lbf. Remember, these bolts hold your wheels on the car!

11. Put the brake drum back on. There will be some play around the lugs. Rest the drum against the FORWARD edge of the lugs so that it doesn't slip when braking.

12. Put the wheel back on and torque the lug nuts to 76 ft·lbf

bhp,

i dont know about your corolla, but as fish said, you should be able to change just the bearings. unfortunately, you also need a lot of tools (or some creativity) to change the bearings.

i also need to change the rear bearings on my 4runner... actually i should have changed them at around 120k, but i am 220k now...

Depending on where i went, i was quoted $50-80 for parts (/side)

labour seems to be around 2-3hrs/side (i do not have the time, tools, or patience to do it myself.)

i wish i could just replace the hub, but in my case, it would me more than just a hub...

good luck,

tdk

bhp, i dont know about your corolla, but as fish said, you should be able to change just the bearings. unfortunately, you also need a lot of tools (or some creativity) to change the bearings.

i also need to change the rear bearings on my 4runner... actually i should have changed them at around 120k, but i am 220k now...

Depending on where i went, i was quoted $50-80 for parts (/side)

labour seems to be around 2-3hrs/side (i do not have the time, tools, or patience to do it myself.)

i wish i could just replace the hub, but in my case, it would me more than just a hub...

good luck,

tdk

paid about $400 for the rear hubs and serpintine belt and the rear brake job, thanks for your information.

You should be careful out there with bearings, you can get a catastrophic failure like I did with my Dodge, not worth it trying to save money.

Topic List