Photo
- - - - -

How To Adjust The Clutch Friction Point?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 hungt1999

hungt1999

Neutral

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 10:50 AM

Hello, I also posted the same question on the other toyota forum, but here it is:

On my Corolla 1996, I have noticed recently that I the friction point has somehow moved closer to the floor. I have to press the clutch pedal all the way down to the floor to disengage. After shifting, it grabs right away when I lift the pedal slightly. It used to be a lot higher.

The car is driving good otherwise, it does not slip, acceleration is good.

Both master and slave cylinders were changed about one year ago and are not leaking

can the pedal (friction point) be adjusted and how?

#2 Bikeman982

Bikeman982

Bikeman982

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 01:34 AM

Hello, I also posted the same question on the other toyota forum, but here it is:

On my Corolla 1996, I have noticed recently that I the friction point has somehow moved closer to the floor. I have to press the clutch pedal all the way down to the floor to disengage. After shifting, it grabs right away when I lift the pedal slightly. It used to be a lot higher.

The car is driving good otherwise, it does not slip, acceleration is good.

Both master and slave cylinders were changed about one year ago and are not leaking

can the pedal (friction point) be adjusted and how?

You have to adjust the clutch pedal height and freeplay.
If it is not at the required amounts, then you need to bleed the clutch line to remove any air in the system.
If you cannot adjust the push rod play and the freeplay adjustment, then your clutch disc may be worn too much.
Hope this helps.

#3 fishexpo101

fishexpo101

I know Karate, Kung Fu, and 47 other dangerous words...

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,445 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 09:55 AM

Might try bleeding the system again and see how that changes things. Fresh fluid helps as well. The real way to change the engagement point is to physically change the pushrod length. They actually make extended pushrods for this purpose. Possible that the friction material and flywheel have gotten contaminated - this would cause the clutch to grab much quicker than usual.