• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 ukhoov

ukhoov

Neutral

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 10:18 AM

My girlfriends 93 Corolla wont....start is guess is the best way to put it.

When you go to start it, it will do the initial "fire up" where it sounds like its gonna run.
Then immediately following that the engine stops running. If you hold the key to start it will do the intial "fire up" then it quits and just continues to turn over repeatedly with out the "firing" sound.

Im really not that knowledgeable about cars, so I'm really lost on why it wont stay running.

Anybody have any ideas?

#2 fishexpo101

fishexpo101

I know Karate, Kung Fu, and 47 other dangerous words...

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,340 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 12:21 PM

Hard to say what exactly is causing this from your post without additional information. Have to look at two particular subsystems - fuel/induction and ignition, sometimes referred to as "fuel" and "fire". Do you now when the last time the sparkplugs, plugs wires, distributor cap and rotor were looked at? Make sure that the air filter is good - no cracks in the induction system leading to the throttle body? Anything visually suspect - ie, leaking fluid somewhere, cut wire(s), cracked/missing/damaged hose(s), etc. When did this issue start - was it just out of the nowhere, the car suddenly didn't want to start - or was it a lingering problem and finally got to this point?

If you have a decent set of tools that you have access to - you can do some simple checks. Remove the sparkplug wires - before you take the plugs out, note if there is any oil pooled in any of the sparkplug tubes. Used compressed air to clear any loose debris from the tubes and remove the plugs, one at a time to keep the plugs from getting mixed up.

You want to "read" the plugs - if you have just tried starting it repeatedly but the engine will not catch - note if the plugs look "wet". That would indicate that fuel it getting to them. If plugs are wet, does it smell like gasoline? moisture/water contamination in the tank will have water sink to the bottom - if this is the case, you can add a can of gas dryer (usually isopropyl alcohol) to help bind with moisture and mix it with the gasoline.

If the plugs are dry - this could indicate that not enough gas is reaching the engine. Could be anything from dirty or damaged fuel injectors, to a bad fuel pump, to a cracked fuel line, to a clogged fuel filter, etc.

Have to start with the basics - could be as simple as needing a tune-up. Depends on its maintenance history.

#3 TRCar54

TRCar54

4th Gear

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 03:29 PM

Ukhoov,

Are you seeing these symptoms with your foot off of the accelerator and letting the computer regulate engine speed for you? Is it worse since the weather has cooled off?

Try giving it some gas pedal while starting.

My younger daughter's 99 Camry was having similar problems and I asked her to do this and she was able to keep it running. When she came home from school I gave the throttle body the "old toothbrush and putty knife throttle body cleaning procedure" and she's never had any trouble since. My older daughter's 98 Camry was pulling system lean and catalyst efficiency codes intermittently during a one week span. I did the same procedure to her car and it hasn't popped a code in 2 weeks.

Good luck,
Jay in MA

My girlfriends 93 Corolla wont....start is guess is the best way to put it.

When you go to start it, it will do the initial "fire up" where it sounds like its gonna run.
Then immediately following that the engine stops running. If you hold the key to start it will do the intial "fire up" then it quits and just continues to turn over repeatedly with out the "firing" sound.

Im really not that knowledgeable about cars, so I'm really lost on why it wont stay running.

Anybody have any ideas?

#4 Bikeman982

Bikeman982

Bikeman982

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 03:28 AM

Change the spark plugs and see if that makes a difference - it should, if they have not been changed in a while.

#5 ukhoov

ukhoov

Neutral

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 11:09 AM

quick update...

i was letting my dog out yesterday and decided to see if the car would start. Got in turned the key and it cranked like it should then sputtered a bit and started like normal...so I let it run for about 5mins or so.

Then I turned it off to take the dog in the house, came back out to see if it would start and drive it around the block once.

so the second time I turned the key it sputtered a bit and started, but it was idling real low. I gave it some gas, it ran a bit faster but then died. Tried a third time with the exact same results.

So today I will go through and clean the throttle body, and check the spark plugs and change if need be, then let you guys know what happens. Any suggestions on specific spark plugs that work better for Toyotas or specifically Corollas?

NOTE: This was all done in park with my foot off the accelerator, until I mentioned otherwise.

Thanks for all the help guys...I really appreciate it!! :D

#6 Bikeman982

Bikeman982

Bikeman982

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 11:00 PM

Repair manual recommends NGK BKR5EYA or equivalent, gapped at 0.031 inch.
That is what I use and they seem to work well.

#7 fishexpo101

fishexpo101

I know Karate, Kung Fu, and 47 other dangerous words...

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,340 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 11:08 AM

Another possible culprit would be the PCV valve and associated vaccum hoses. A vacuum leak can cause a stumbling idle and and poor running. Most of these would be discovered over a comprehesive tune-up - might just be time for one, especially if you cannot remember the last time it was done.

#8 Bikeman982

Bikeman982

Bikeman982

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 03:27 AM

I have just read that the ignition neutral safety switch, if bad, could also prevent starting.
I am looking for one for my project car.

#9 TRCar54

TRCar54

4th Gear

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 07:48 AM

Generally a defective NSW will prevent the starter from engaging when the ignition key is turned to the start position.

Jay in MA

I have just read that the ignition neutral safety switch, if bad, could also prevent starting.

#10 Bikeman982

Bikeman982

Bikeman982

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 09:43 PM

Generally a defective NSW will prevent the starter from engaging when the ignition key is turned to the start position.

Jay in MA

OK. I never had a bad one - just missing one.

Edited by Bikeman982, 14 January 2008 - 09:44 PM.

#11 TRCar54

TRCar54

4th Gear

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 06:53 AM

It's purpose is generally the same as a clutch pedal switch on a manual transmission. They didn't want people to be able to accidentally start the vehicle in gear and launch forward when it starts. When a NSW is integrated into the auto transmission gear selector shaft it isn't uncommon to have the reverse light switch as part of the assembly also. My Cherokee uses that type of NSW and it is about $400 from the dealer.

Jay in MA

Jay in MA

OK. I never had a bad one - just missing one.

#12 Bikeman982

Bikeman982

Bikeman982

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 01:34 AM

I think my car ignition neutral safety switch does light up the back-up lights when the shifter is in "reverse".