13 replies to this topic

#1 pogamoggan

pogamoggan

Neutral

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 01:48 PM

Hi All,

Any insight would be appreciated. I've got a 98 Corolla with the 4-spd Auto. The only problem is the gear shifter is stiff/hard to move. Sometimes, the car won't start because it doesn't think the gear selector is in Park, even though it is. I have to push it and hold it there in order for it to start. Same with shifting to Reverse or Drive. Most of the time the transmission doesn't seem to believe it is in R or D. Essentially, I have to nudge the gear selector past the R and D markers to get into the appropriate gear.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!!!!

Carl

#2 fishexpo101

fishexpo101

I know Karate, Kung Fu, and 47 other dangerous words...

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,382 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 02:16 PM

Welcome to the forum - just need to ask a few more questions to flesh the details out.

Does it stick in gears all the time, ie. doesn't matter the temperature, after running for a bit, sitting for some time, etc.?

Is there any one gear or between gears that it is most noticeable, like when you try to shift into park from reverse or straight from drive, between gear L and gear 2, neutral to drive or reverse, etc.?

Sure sounds like a physical issue with the floor shift assembly (access from cabin) and or park/neutral position switch (access from outsdie, right on transaxle case). Could be as simple as a lubrication issue or more involved, like a bent or distorted control shaft or groove pin (both control how the shift moves back and forth).

As it happens, I just have some scans of the factory service manual on this area (had to dig some change that my toddler dumped down in there, accidentally).

Details on the shifter:
http://img.photobuck...mblyShifter.jpg

Details on interior bits:
http://img.photobuck...semblyCabin.jpg

#3 pogamoggan

pogamoggan

Neutral

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 02:34 PM

Welcome to the forum - just need to ask a few more questions to flesh the details out.

Does it stick in gears all the time, ie. doesn't matter the temperature, after running for a bit, sitting for some time, etc.?

Is there any one gear or between gears that it is most noticeable, like when you try to shift into park from reverse or straight from drive, between gear L and gear 2, neutral to drive or reverse, etc.?

Sure sounds like a physical issue with the floor shift assembly (access from cabin) and or park/neutral position switch (access from outsdie, right on transaxle case). Could be as simple as a lubrication issue or more involved, like a bent or distorted control shaft or groove pin (both control how the shift moves back and forth).

As it happens, I just have some scans of the factory service manual on this area (had to dig some change that my toddler dumped down in there, accidentally).

Details on the shifter:

Details on interior bits:

Hey Fishexpo. Thanks for the response. It is pretty much like this all the time. It seems to have gradually gotten worse. And now it's kind of hard to deal with. Don't know if it's just coinciding with the colder weather here. I kind of think it might be due to something with the floor shifter assembly. But I'm not sure.

I tried looking at the links you provided but for some reason they don't show up for me?

Thanks again.

Carl

#4 fishexpo101

fishexpo101

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,382 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 02:48 PM

Try these links:

If they do not work - then try clicking the link under my signature (photobucket site) and click the Documentation link, should be the first two images there.

#5 pogamoggan

pogamoggan

Neutral

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 02:53 PM

Any suggestions for where to start in trying to resolve this? Should I lubricate the floor shifter somewhere?

Thanks.

Carl

#6 fishexpo101

fishexpo101

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,382 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 03:57 PM

I would try a visual inspection first - as just adding lubrication may or may not work - in some cases, might make things worse. I'd look for simple stuff first - anything that is obviously binding up (deep scoring of the materials, any shavings (plastic or metal), signs of corrosion, etc.) If everything looks OK mechanically - then you can start diagnosing the electrical items. Then when those are exhausted, you can try lubrication. Preferrably a silicone type of spray or white grease (doesn't eat plastic). Keep in mind that lubrication also hold dust and dirt to the parts being lubed - might make the problem worse if that dirt gets pulled into the mix.

#7 Bitter

Bitter

Overdrive

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,919 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 12:04 AM

take the center console apart and clean it all really well, sometimes something spilled in there can really gum up and get stiff in the cold.

#8 pogamoggan

pogamoggan

Neutral

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 11:08 AM

take the center console apart and clean it all really well, sometimes something spilled in there can really gum up and get stiff in the cold.

Alright, I guess the consensus is to try and clean it out first.

Will take a look at trying that this weekend.

Thanks.

Of course, other suggestions are always welcome in case someone else has run into this.

Carl

#9 Bitter

Bitter

Overdrive

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,919 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 10:43 PM

when you have it out, use some silicone spray lube to lubricate the pivots and moving parts.

#10 Bikeman982

Bikeman982

Bikeman982

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 12:38 AM

Check the neutral/park switch on the transaxle, as well as the shifter cable.
The cable may be binding on something on the engine.

#11 pogamoggan

pogamoggan

Neutral

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 10:22 AM

I'll look at the cable too then. Hmmm... yesterday drove it and it was real touchy. Didn't want to start a few times on my trip of errands. No turn over, no clicking. Just silence. I'm hoping it's just the transmission thinking it isn't in Park. But could it be something else like a relay?

Carl

#12 Bikeman982

Bikeman982

Bikeman982

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 02:25 AM

I'll look at the cable too then. Hmmm... yesterday drove it and it was real touchy. Didn't want to start a few times on my trip of errands. No turn over, no clicking. Just silence. I'm hoping it's just the transmission thinking it isn't in Park. But could it be something else like a relay?

Carl

Could very possible be due to the car not being in the correct gear.

#13 whitecorolla

whitecorolla

Neutral

• Active Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 02:05 PM

Hi everyone, new to forum here. Was this issue ever resolved? I have a 1999 Corolla, 4sp automatic on jack-stands with the identical problem. After practically gutting the interior (thanks for the pics fishexpo101, those will come in handy) I find the problem to be on the transmission.
With the selector cable removed, the lever on the transmission is very stiff to move by hand. Moving through the gears is relatively smooth, but moving the lever in to or out of park gives a lot of resistance. I have sprayed the lever and area with WD40, and it has helped little. I look forward to any suggestions. Thank you very much.

Joel

#14 akma

akma

Neutral

• Active Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 09:43 PM

Hi everyone, new to forum here. Was this issue ever resolved? I have a 1999 Corolla, 4sp automatic on jack-stands with the identical problem. After practically gutting the interior (thanks for the pics fishexpo101, those will come in handy) I find the problem to be on the transmission.
With the selector cable removed, the lever on the transmission is very stiff to move by hand. Moving through the gears is relatively smooth, but moving the lever in to or out of park gives a lot of resistance. I have sprayed the lever and area with WD40, and it has helped little. I look forward to any suggestions. Thank you very much.

Joel

I have the exact same problem with my 1999 Corolla. Every now and then, i turn the key and nothing happens unless i really shove the shifter in park and sometimes, i need to stick it in neural to get it started. There is quite a bit of play in the shifter and sometimes, when i take it in for and oil change, the tech sprays it and it does get better, but only for a short while. Ultimately, the pivot needs to be replaced on mine "according to the tech at toyota". I have the part, which was fairly inexpensive, and now, i need to take it appart and actually find out where this pivot is located to replace it.

Would anybody be able to tell me if this pivot is accessed from underneath the car or do i have to take appart the shifter assembly? Oh and yes, i am mechanically challenged when it comes to automotives; however, i am willing to at least try to fix it. Any information would be appreciated.