#1 gvr4ever

gvr4ever

5th Gear

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 09:44 PM

http://www.autoblog....heap-rwd-coupe/

I sure hope they build this. A nice 5sp hooked up to a 2.4 camery engine would be SWEET!!!!! I don't know if they would use that engine, but that would make the car perfect if they did.

#2 fishexpo101

fishexpo101

I know Karate, Kung Fu, and 47 other dangerous words...

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,284 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 12:21 AM

That would be pretty sweet - especially if they can hit that price point or get very close to it. I won't hold my breath though - as this RWD rumor has been floating around for a while - I'll believe it when the test mule comes out.

#3 Bitter

Bitter

Overdrive

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,919 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 02:56 PM

just go grab a used mr-2 :lol: the 3sgte is better than just about all the current toyota motors out there. hell i'd even say that the A series are better than the Z series (save for the 2zz) when it comes to modding. the Z series are stretched thin and high strung.

#4 twinky64

twinky64

4th Gear

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 02:20 AM

Negatory, get the J series off of a supra, the twin turbo! I cannot believe toyota scrapped that engine, probably all politics anyways. "O look, we over-engineered the ufck out of this, lets scrap it!"

#5 twinky64

twinky64

4th Gear

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 02:23 AM

That would be pretty sweet - especially if they can hit that price point or get very close to it. I won't hold my breath though - as this RWD rumor has been floating around for a while - I'll believe it when the test mule comes out.

The previous generation of IS (1999-2003 i think) is really close to the same size as the 8th gen corolla. I think they should just use that chassis as a means of cutting cost (ie. redesigning the wheel is a waste of time for a corolla)

#6 gvr4ever

gvr4ever

5th Gear

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 03:12 PM

Negatory, get the J series off of a supra, the twin turbo! I cannot believe toyota scrapped that engine, probably all politics anyways. "O look, we over-engineered the ufck out of this, lets scrap it!"

Maybe it didn't meet emissions anymore. Now days turbo's have a pre cat, and two cats after the turbo. I'm actually kind of surprised they still make descent power. I do think they've been slowed down a tad tho. I've been in the STi's and SRT-4s and for having a 2.4 in them, they really feel held back.

The Supra NA engine was used in the IS300's, so they sort of kept it alive. I've never been in a TT Supra, but I bet they were/are fun. Especially with some basic mods.

#7 Bitter

Bitter

Overdrive

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,919 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 10:33 AM

meh, the J series are nice, but theyre not toyotas only amazing engine. the 4AGx series and the S series has some screamers. the Beams 3S-GE, the blacktop 20 valve 4A-GE, and of course the 3S-GTE which i would hold in the same regards as a 4G63.

#8 fishexpo101

fishexpo101

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,284 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 11:26 AM

I'd take a Celica All-trac over a Supra personally. Both have amazing engine potential - but the Celica would be able to put it down better on the pavement than the Supra, with all-wheel vs RWD. Plus not many places, short of the track, that you can legally exercise the legs on the Supra. A FR/FF Corolla/Levin or MR2 would be a close choice afterward. Would make a perfect DD - enough room for my stuff, cheap to upkeep, dependable, and can add some "excitement" to my daily commute as the need arise. Coming from past experience with big Detroit Iron - I'm smitten by Toyota's lighter and more manuverable G-series and S-series "economy" cars with lots of tuning potential.

Don't get me wrong, like Bitter mentioned, the J-series are fabulous pieces of engineering - like 600WHP+ with a stock bottom end, but the amount of money dumped into it to make impressive amounts of power - one can easily be dumped into a SBC with similar mods and make more power. Like the old saying goes - no replacement for displacement.

Some people have taken that to the extreme and tried to shoehorn the 1UZ-FE 4.0L V8 from a Lexus LS400 (an engine that also has show tremendous potential - blown variants have dyno'd at 1000WHP+ !!!) into an 8th gen Corolla - unsuccessfully.

#9 gvr4ever

gvr4ever

5th Gear

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 01:28 PM

The problem with both of them, is they cost too much used. I rather have a barly used vette at this point. Also, I've heard from a few people that have worked on a all trac celica, that the engine needs to be dropped to get the trans out. We have STi's and EVOs now. Why spend so much money on a older car that really didn't put out that much power.

I just hope Toyota truly builds a new RWD car that starts around 16K. I rather it have a 2.4 then a 1.8, but for that kind of cash, it would prolly have a 1.8 in it.

#10 Bitter

Bitter

Overdrive

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,919 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 10:57 PM

I'd take a Celica All-trac over a Supra personally. Both have amazing engine potential - but the Celica would be able to put it down better on the pavement than the Supra, with all-wheel vs RWD. Plus not many places, short of the track, that you can legally exercise the legs on the Supra. A FR/FF Corolla/Levin or MR2 would be a close choice afterward. Would make a perfect DD - enough room for my stuff, cheap to upkeep, dependable, and can add some "excitement" to my daily commute as the need arise. Coming from past experience with big Detroit Iron - I'm smitten by Toyota's lighter and more manuverable G-series and S-series "economy" cars with lots of tuning potential.

Don't get me wrong, like Bitter mentioned, the J-series are fabulous pieces of engineering - like 600WHP+ with a stock bottom end, but the amount of money dumped into it to make impressive amounts of power - one can easily be dumped into a SBC with similar mods and make more power. Like the old saying goes - no replacement for displacement.

Some people have taken that to the extreme and tried to shoehorn the 1UZ-FE 4.0L V8 from a Lexus LS400 (an engine that also has show tremendous potential - blown variants have dyno'd at 1000WHP+ !!!) into an 8th gen Corolla - unsuccessfully.

but someone pulled it off in a 6th gen celica ;) theres a little more engine bay depth to work with. search and ye shall find.

#11 Bikeman982

Bikeman982

Bikeman982

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 02:40 AM

Does that mean back to long drive shafts, differentials, and problemsome U-joints??

Edited by Bikeman982, 17 July 2007 - 02:40 AM.

#12 gvr4ever

gvr4ever

5th Gear

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 12:04 PM

Does that mean back to long drive shafts, differentials, and problemsome U-joints??

Lexus has had RWD for awhile now. I think Toyota knows how to do it right. What problems did Toyota have the first time? I've never heard of rear end complaints. I was on the forums trying to find one, but no luck. One of my friends had a RWD Celica that made it to 250+K miles. Aside from hitting a deer, I don't think it had any failures.

#13 Bikeman982

Bikeman982

Bikeman982

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 01:49 AM

I haven't heard of Toyotas specifically having problems. Just RWD problems in general as a result of the drive configuration.

#14 fishexpo101

fishexpo101

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,284 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 02:52 PM

Yeah, only time I've had problems with U-joints were with thge older full sized vans and heavy trucks - since the drive shafts were so long and the u-joint straps being the weak link in that case - vehicles where the driveshaft is nearly as long as my current Corolla. Never actually had a u-joint fail, always used Super Joints, but straps were mostly crap - at least on all the big domestic ones that I've worked on. Personally - I'd take the RWD configuration for working on, space and cost wise - for "playing" with. FWD is not as mod friendly as the RWD platform. Need to change the ring gear, add a LSD - no problem, just pop off the differential in the rear, don't even need to mess with the tranny - to do that on a FWD transaxle - need to pull the tranny off, crack it open, and use some special tools to get to the differential. RWD are less troublesome now - with composite driveshafts, better suspension and chassis integration, and better materials.

#15 Bikeman982

Bikeman982

Bikeman982

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 01:46 AM

One drawback to RWD vehicles is the "hump" that goes down the center to accomodate the drive shaft.
One big advantage is the handling in snow or icy roads. I got used to RWD cars and learned how to do a proper fishtail control.