11 replies to this topic

#1 eh^

eh^

Neutral

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 10:17 PM

Hi there
Canadian Tire has a sale on motormaster tires this week and i need cheap summer/all season tires (student budget)
has anyone had any experiences with them at all ?

Motomaster LXR , Motomaster SE, or Motomaster AW

thx

#2 Bitter

Bitter

Overdrive

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,914 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 01:34 AM

i've never heard of that brand, its probably just a regional one.

ya i googled and motormaster is the canadiantire brand of stuff for cars. personanlly i'd avoid the discount tires, you get what you pay for.

#3 buurin

buurin

4th Gear

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 12:40 PM

Motomaster is Canadian Tire's store brand, store wide, Canada wide. Their tires is why it's becoming known as "Crappy Tire". :lol:

I use top-of-the-(passenger-)line Michelin tires (X-One and Hydroedge to be exact) on our cars. Seems to hold up well.

#4 mustaq

mustaq

1st Gear

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 01:33 PM

I think Motomaster and Kumho prices are similar. Last year I was looking for a pair of budget all-season tires, and found Kumho and Motomaster close. Moreover, www.tirerack.com ranks Kumho very well. Kumho cost me less than CAD$60 per tire (of course that excludes balancing, disposal of old tire and tax).

Edited by mustaq, 26 March 2007 - 01:34 PM.

#5 gvr4ever

gvr4ever

5th Gear

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 01:48 PM

Hit up tires.com

You can read tons of reviews. Sumitomo is a pretty good budget brand. Just get the highest performing tire you can fit on your rims.

I'm running a set of Z rated all weathers on a Mustang and they are great. I don't recommend them for snow use, but I have driven with them and didn't wreck. They also get a little slippery when cold. Cold and wet is worse. Normally, that would really tick me off, but they work great in warmer weather. They fit my needs. I needed a tire that wouldn't fall apart on cold days, but would be warm weather performer. If you read the reviews and one of the reasons I got them, was they have great tread wear. I can account for that. I spin my tires often and the rears are not fading that much. I've had a lot of tires, including the stuff that cost a lot and the Sumitomos are pretty decent tires. They are great tires for the money.

#6 Papa Bear

Papa Bear

2nd Gear

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 02:32 PM

I am currently running the LXR on our Accord and my son has LXR on his car also. We like them !! Long wearing, quiet and good handling. They ride a little rougher than most tires, they are NOT cushy cruisers, but they go where you aim them. LXR are Michelin tires. Hope this helps.

#7 gvr4ever

gvr4ever

5th Gear

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 02:46 PM

Just remembered, 1010tires is another place to read reviews from tire buyers.

#8 eh^

eh^

Neutral

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 05:28 PM

thanks for the replies , i did check out 1010tires and tiretrends. Its too bad it almost cost as much as tire for shipping to my area :( or else i would order from them
ill head down to the local ok tire and fountain tire to see if they have anygood deals today

#9 vwgolfist

vwgolfist

1st Gear

• Members
  • Pip
  • 88 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 05:30 PM

alwaysy bought and used MOTOMASTER tires they are actual brand name tires made fot CAnadian TIre. One time I did research on them and found out thet some of thme were made by YOKOHAMA in USA!! Tires have codes in them similar to VIN numbers on cars. ie who made them, what factory where etc....

we only had luck with motomaster + if they get punctured or whatever they fix it/replace it for FREE in any Crappy tire store

A+ tires

#10 beige03corolla

beige03corolla

Neutral

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 04:55 PM

Do not buy Canadian Tire MotorMaster Tires.

I repeat DO NOT buy Canadian Tire Tires.

I had four Touring LXR tires that I could never get balanced properly.

Replaced them with four TOYO Ultra 800s and its like driving new vehicle.

#11 dopey92

dopey92

Neutral

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 08:31 AM

I agree, DO NOT BUY CDN TIRE BRAND TIRES!
I have tried using them in the past, most notably the AW ones, and they are CRAP!
They are rated for 100k kms....each time, I'm lucky to get more than half that!
The only reason I have bought them more than once is that over a span of 15 years, they have changed the name "AW" a few times (now I think they are called AW+) and also the tread design, so I keep thinking that they have done better (not to mention the enticing price!) and give it another try.... :blink: silly me...
I have tried Kuhmo tires from Walmart and they are not bad...rated 100kms, so far am getting 50kms and still look pretty good.
However, I have just been introduced to a tire place in Scarborough (Toronto) that has great prices on brand name tires...just picked up a set of Generals (made by Continnental) for my other car (Corolla) 14" tires...$360 all in (taxes, install, balance, valve, disposal, etc)....if you subtract all these "extras" out, it works out to something like $70 a tire, so for $10 more per tire compared to Walmart/Cdn Tire, I'd go with these.
http://www.wheels-direct.com/
You can call for prices, but be warned....they are BUSY on Saturdays and are closed on Sundays...best time to go is during the day in the week.

#12 buurin

buurin

4th Gear

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 10:57 AM

I agree, DO NOT BUY CDN TIRE BRAND TIRES!

http://www.wheels-direct.com/
You can call for prices, but be warned....they are BUSY on Saturdays and are closed on Sundays...best time to go is during the day in the week.

Wheels Direct... Yes, Toronto TN members speak highly of that place - mostly for getting alloys though. :D

You know, People call it Crappy Tire for a reason. :lol: