6 replies to this topic

#1 twinky64

twinky64

4th Gear

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 03:01 PM

Are smoked headlight covers legal in CA?

#2 the99contour

the99contour

5th Gear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,485 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 03:35 PM

No, they are not legal anywhere in the US because they violate DOT standards for minimum light output. Since all 50 states have standards at least as stringent as the DOT standards, a product that violates a DOT standard will automatically violate the standards in all 50 states.

Those smoked covers significantly reduce the light output of your headlamps and make night time driving unsafe.

#3 muzak

muzak

4th Gear

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 04:12 PM

Why would you want to "smoke" your headlights anyway? While driving (without other traffic) I like my bright Corolla high beams to show everything in sight as I want that extra edge if any deer or anything else runs in front of my car. I don't understand why anyone would want to make their vision less efficient.

Edited by muzak, 10 December 2006 - 04:13 PM.

#4 Max

Max

5th Gear

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 04:38 PM

Toyota puts smoked lenses on Corolla S. Are we talking illegal aftermarket covers here?

#5 the99contour

the99contour

5th Gear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,485 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 08:06 PM

Toyota puts smoked lenses on Corolla S. Are we talking illegal aftermarket covers here?

Twinky asked about smoked headlight covers. The lenses on a Corolla 'S' are called smoked, but all they are is a polycarbonate with a small amount of gray pigment in them. This does not cause any reduction in light output, and quite frankly, I don't understand why Toyota even bothers with them. 99% of the people can't even tell the lenses on the 'S' are smoked because it is so extremely subtle. What he is talking about are those black or almost black covers that specifically state on the box are "for show or off road use only,".

They clearly state that they are for show and off road use, and I wouldn't risk my safety using them on the road just because they look nice (and that is just an opinion).

#6 twinky64

twinky64

4th Gear

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 03:07 PM

Twinky asked about smoked headlight covers. The lenses on a Corolla 'S' are called smoked, but all they are is a polycarbonate with a small amount of gray pigment in them. This does not cause any reduction in light output, and quite frankly, I don't understand why Toyota even bothers with them. 99% of the people can't even tell the lenses on the 'S' are smoked because it is so extremely subtle. What he is talking about are those black or almost black covers that specifically state on the box are "for show or off road use only,".

They clearly state that they are for show and off road use, and I wouldn't risk my safety using them on the road just because they look nice (and that is just an opinion).

Hey! c'mon, that's why i ask on the forum. :lol: I thought that those covers wouldn't impede illumination THAT much.

#7 Bikeman982

Bikeman982

Bikeman982

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 09:30 PM

The simple answer is "no".