2 replies to this topic

#1 Stéphane Dumas

Stéphane Dumas

4th Gear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 06:59 AM

it's being a while I didn't posted here I don't know where to post this one :unsure:
I spotted this article from AutoblogGreen
http://www.autoblogg...ids-to-ethanol/

Not to be one-upped by Honda, CNET is reporting that the leader in hybrid technology, Toyota, will release a flex-fuel ethanol/gasoline capable car in Brazil during the Spring of 2007. The vehicle model and price have yet to be disclosed, but if they are planning to match Honda's efforts we shouldn't be surprised to see them offer a converted version of either the Corolla or Yaris or both. The vehicles should be capable of running on any blend of ethanol and gasoline, even E100.

#2 Bikeman982

Bikeman982

Bikeman982

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 12:44 AM

it's being a while I didn't posted here I don't know where to post this one :unsure:

Not to be one-upped by Honda, CNET is reporting that the leader in hybrid technology, Toyota, will release a flex-fuel ethanol/gasoline capable car in Brazil during the Spring of 2007. The vehicle model and price have yet to be disclosed, but if they are planning to match Honda's efforts we shouldn't be surprised to see them offer a converted version of either the Corolla or Yaris or both. The vehicles should be capable of running on any blend of ethanol and gasoline, even E100.

Do we have to move to Brazil to get one??

#3 the99contour

the99contour

5th Gear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,485 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 08:12 PM

Do we have to move to Brazil to get one??

GM and Ford have sold vehicles in Brazil since the early to mid 1990's that were capable of running E85, E100 or regular 87 octance gasoline. They did this in response to a Brazilian Federal Law that required every gas station in the entire country to have diesel, gas and ethanol. Since ethanol is available everywhere in Brazil and it is less than 1/2 the cost of gasoline and 1/3 the cost of diesel, it became wildly popular among the people of Brazil. Now most cars sold there are flex fuel and ethanol outsells gas and diesel almost 3 to 1 gallon for gallon. Here in the states, I believe Minnesota is the only state with statewide E85 availability. In Ohio we only have 5 stations statewide that sell E85.

E85 is doomed to fail in the US if it isn't cheaper than gas by a lot, widely available, and more than 50% of all new cars can run it.