14 replies to this topic

#1 twinky64

twinky64

4th Gear

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 03:41 AM

How often should I replace my springs? My car has 198k miles, its a 98, and they're stock springs. There's nothing wrong with them but should I get them replaced?

#2 corranhorn

corranhorn

1st Gear

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 04:11 AM

How often should I replace my springs? My car has 198k miles, its a 98, and they're stock springs. There's nothing wrong with them but should I get them replaced?

My 94 still has stock springs, but I'm replacing them since I have to replace the struts - might as well get it all taken care of at once. :) If nothing's wrong with your suspension components I'd say there's no reason to replace it yet IMO.

#3 Bikeman982

Bikeman982

Bikeman982

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 10:50 PM

I think the springs could last the life of the vehicle, but if they have problems or do not function within their design parameters, then they should be changed.

#4 twinky64

twinky64

4th Gear

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 02:22 PM

Are stock springs for a 98 corolla progressive wound or normal wound? The appear to be normal wound. If so, is there a progressive wound coil over I can purchase?

http://www.carbibles...sion_bible.html

#5 fishexpo101

fishexpo101

I know Karate, Kung Fu, and 47 other dangerous words...

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,478 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 04:06 PM

OEM springs are normally wound. Most performance springs are progressively wound or mix of the two (example TRD springs are linear in one pair and progressively wound in another, to stay within the design specs of the chassis) - that is how they get decent spring rates and not kill the quality of ride as well lowering the car's static ride height.

#6 twinky64

twinky64

4th Gear

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 08:37 PM

OEM springs are normally wound. Most performance springs are progressively wound or mix of the two (example TRD springs are linear in one pair and progressively wound in another, to stay within the design specs of the chassis) - that is how they get decent spring rates and not kill the quality of ride as well lowering the car's static ride height.

Are the struts on the 8th gen corolla a mcpherson strut style?

#7 fishexpo101

fishexpo101

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,478 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 10:39 PM

Are the struts on the 8th gen corolla a mcpherson strut style?

Yes.

#8 twinky64

twinky64

4th Gear

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 03:13 AM

If I change my springs to some "JDM Coil overs" off of ebay, how reliable are they compared to the stock ones?

http://cgi.ebay.com/...emZ190032912696

#9 fishexpo101

fishexpo101

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,478 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 09:29 AM

Those are NOT JDM coilovers - those are coilover sleeves or sometimes called a coilover kit - pretty much useless (will not fit the strut without some modifications, sometimes welding is required) or will screw up the ride (wrong spring rates), unless you get them from a reputable maker. I don't consider those a coilover or even safe for normal use. Since those have to sit on the spring perch on your existing strut. "Real" coilovers have a threaded strut body and come with properly tuned springs to strut valving.

Coilovers in general will make the ride must "stiffer" than normal. Some people like them, some don't. Unless you plan on turning your car into a show piece or tracking it - not worth the expense of going to a coil over setup - especially with the Corolla as the chassis (too much compliance built in).

#10 Bikeman982

Bikeman982

Bikeman982

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 05:59 PM

They look like red springs with some adjustment capability. I don't know if they would make any improvement, unless your springs are already shot.

#11 TheDarkKnight

TheDarkKnight

3rd Gear

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 02:50 PM

I have 180k+ on my 4Runner and still running stock. (I bought a pair of shocks, but have not had time to swap them out yet).

Regarding Ebay, the one of my pet-peeves are all these people who claim JDM. Unless it comes in a box written in Japanese, its not JDM (just my opinion).
And its not OE-JDM, unless it came off of a car in Japan.

Regarding the coil-overs, I do not know anything about these particular ones. However, I loved the ones I have run in the past.
But all of the applications were on "sport" vehicles (RX7, Z, Silvia, etc).

On my RX7 (my 1st one), next to the handling and stiffer ride, I loved the fact that I could adjust my ride height (living in a light snow zone, being able to raise the ride height meant the diffrence between my bumper being a snow plow or not)

But, to run them on a corolla? The lower ride might give it a more "aggressive" look?
My philosophy is, "If its not broke, dont touch it". (Mind you, as soon as it breaks, gotta upgrade!)

tdk

#12 954afe

954afe

3rd Gear

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 08:11 AM

198K is nothing to really worry about i didnt blow a shock till 150K on my car but that was from racing it, springs like said above should be good for life, if looking for a smoother ride i would suggest tokico HP shocks, they are just a bit more than stock struts but are alot better ride, you can use these with stock springs, ride might be a bit stiffer but should be alot more comfortable, i run these shocks but have alot alot more aggressive spring.

#13 Bikeman982

Bikeman982

Bikeman982

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 11:52 PM

I would not replace them, unless they break or no longer supply the support for your car that they were designed to do.

Edited by Bikeman982, 27 October 2006 - 11:53 PM.

#14 twinky64

twinky64

4th Gear

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 07:31 PM

My friend has a 01 civic and that car bounces to the little concrete buckles on the freeways well. Which suggests to me that the suspension hugs the road well. After 5 years, they still do (stock suspension, never replaced).
I just replaced my struts about 6 months ago and the buckles on the freeways just reverberate through my 98 corolla. My car doesn't hug as well (ie. doesn't bounce up and down like my friends civic)
What can I do to simulate a similar feel?
Off topic but, my 98 doesn't have a front sway bar (damn toyota), will a front strut bar help with either roll or cornering? Also, will a 99 corolla front sway bar fit in my 98?

#15 954afe

954afe

3rd Gear

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 10:38 PM

front sway bar will in short keep your car from swaying, helping you stay more level during cornering, now to have a well set up suspesion, think of it like bouncing a ball you drop the ball it bounces back up and you stop it, tahts how you want your suspension a nice drop and a smooth rebound and then stopped, a bounce ride indcates that the springs are too stiff for the damping, that will inturn blow shocks rather quickly if you have a bouncy ride, there are many graphs id like to show you but dunno how to paste a picture ill find the links and post them hear, even though its stock suspension could be wrong, nothing wrong with getting some aftermarket shocks with stock springs, for hopefully a better ride