12 replies to this topic

#1 twinky64

twinky64

4th Gear

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 05:59 PM

I want to paint my hubcaps but I do not know the prepatory steps on how to do it. Do I have to sand or will paint over the already existing paint good enough? I have a white car and would like to paint my hubcaps a white silver and then paint the middle toyota logo black. How would I go about doing this?

What designs would you guys use when it comes to paint schemes

#2 the99contour

the99contour

5th Gear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,485 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 06:05 PM

I want to paint my hubcaps but I do not know the prepatory steps on how to do it. Do I have to sand or will paint over the already existing paint good enough? I have a white car and would like to paint my hubcaps a white silver and then paint the middle toyota logo black. How would I go about doing this?

What you want to do is take some TSP (tri-sodium phosphate) or engine degreaser or brake cleaner and remove any dirt or foreign material from the hubcap. Then you want to lightly sand, wipe off any dust, and spray with a high adhesion primer meant for plastics. Then you should paint over that.

IMHO, white wheels look fantastic on white cars. My first car was white with white wheels and I loved the look. What I would do to get the two tone effect you desire is to paint the entire wheel and then use a small brush and black paint to get the centers.

#3 tashirosgt

tashirosgt

2nd Gear

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 09:55 PM

I find that modern paints work well on plastic hubcaps. The easiest way to do the black lettering is with a Sharpie marker. However I don't know if this procedure is approved by the judges of car shows!

#4 twinky64

twinky64

4th Gear

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 12:35 AM

What you want to do is take some TSP (tri-sodium phosphate) or engine degreaser or brake cleaner and remove any dirt or foreign material from the hubcap. Then you want to lightly sand, wipe off any dust, and spray with a high adhesion primer meant for plastics. Then you should paint over that.

IMHO, white wheels look fantastic on white cars. My first car was white with white wheels and I loved the look. What I would do to get the two tone effect you desire is to paint the entire wheel and then use a small brush and black paint to get the centers.

Really dumb question, "IMHO", what does this mean?

I have a white corolla. What does every body think about what my hubcap color should be?

#5 Bikeman982

Bikeman982

Bikeman982

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 01:17 AM

IMHO - In My Honest Opinion, my wife drives a white one and I have a white one in my garage.
Ihave purchased the cheap hubcaps from e-Bay for all of my cars. When they get broken, I just buy some more. They sometimes get scraped up and I have heard that they can be re-painted (silver), but I have not done that yet.

This is my car, which is not white, but is light colored;

Posted Image

Check out the hubcaps.

Edited by Bikeman982, 01 September 2006 - 01:19 AM.

#6 Bitter

Bitter

Overdrive

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,919 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 02:38 PM

dont use brake cleaner on plastic parts, it could melt or damage the plastic.

#7 Max

Max

5th Gear

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 02:59 PM

IMHO also means "In my humble opinion." I think you should have hubcaps in whatever colour YOU choose, twinky.

#8 muzak

muzak

4th Gear

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 05:31 PM

I find that modern paints work well on plastic hubcaps. The easiest way to do the black lettering is with a Sharpie marker. However I don't know if this procedure is approved by the judges of car shows!

If I was going into a car show I would spend the $84.00 CDN on a new set of original hubcaps. Actually...I just noticed.....those little "clickable Smilies" to the left of us there would make good looking hubcaps.
I might have invented something there as long as Forrest Gump doesn't have a patent on that. Now if you could just make the wheels move and the smily face stay in that position $$$$$$ Whoever invents that..remember me in your will.

Edited by muzak, 01 September 2006 - 05:33 PM.

#9 Bikeman982

Bikeman982

Bikeman982

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 06:04 PM

IMHO also means "In my humble opinion." I think you should have hubcaps in whatever colour YOU choose, twinky.

I think any hubcap is preferable to no hubcaps. The choices are up to you, since you are free to personalize your car the way you like. That's what makes each of us unique - personal tastes and preferences.

#10 buurin

buurin

4th Gear

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 08:22 PM

If I was going into a car show I would spend the $84.00 CDN on a new set of original hubcaps. Actually...I just noticed.....those little "clickable Smilies" to the left of us there would make good looking hubcaps.
I might have invented something there as long as Forrest Gump doesn't have a patent on that. Now if you could just make the wheels move and the smily face stay in that position $$$$$$ Whoever invents that..remember me in your will.

If I was going into a car show I would forget about hubcaps and get a nice set of aftermarket alloys, but I have digressed.

You don't need to look beyond the wheels of some cabs in our area. I pretty sure saw some cabs with special hubcaps that stay upright as the wheels turn. They were originally designed for ads. Works for smileys too. :)

#11 Bikeman982

Bikeman982

Bikeman982

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 02:06 AM

I think you can use model paint to do touch-ups on your hubcaps.

#12 twinky64

twinky64

4th Gear

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 12:31 AM

Can model paint be used on hubcaps? I was looking at Kragen for an Aluminum color or something similar to a light silver but I've found no such luck. I've done plenty of models and know enough to spray properly. I also know that model paint comes in many different colors but I don't know if it can stand up to everyday handwashing with soap and if the model paint can stand up to the rediculous heat. Does anybody have any ideas about what kind of paint I should use?

#13 Bikeman982

Bikeman982

Bikeman982

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 12:49 AM

Can model paint be used on hubcaps? I was looking at Kragen for an Aluminum color or something similar to a light silver but I've found no such luck. I've done plenty of models and know enough to spray properly. I also know that model paint comes in many different colors but I don't know if it can stand up to everyday handwashing with soap and if the model paint can stand up to the rediculous heat. Does anybody have any ideas about what kind of paint I should use?

I have heard of hubcaps being painted with model paint. There are people who make a living out of reconditioning old hubcaps and they do paint them. I think if you coated them with a clearcoat, it would improve resistance to washing and sun.