• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 keymusic

keymusic

Neutral

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 10:47 PM

Is there any trick to replacing the driver's seat belt in a 1996 Corolla? How do you get the panel off to expose the seat belt?

Thanks.

#2 Bikeman982

Bikeman982

Bikeman982

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 11:05 PM

Is there any trick to replacing the driver's seat belt in a 1996 Corolla? How do you get the panel off to expose the seat belt?

Thanks.

I think all Corollas from the 7th generation have a problem with the seat belts. There was a factory recall for them. Check to see if your car had it done. They are not easy to change and new ones work just as bad as the originals.

Edited by Bikeman982, 03 September 2006 - 08:08 PM.

#3 keymusic

keymusic

Neutral

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 11:12 PM

I checked the NTSB and there's no recall. I'm picking up the seat belt from the dealer tomorow...so I hope it's not too difficult to install.

Edited by keymusic, 19 June 2006 - 11:12 PM.

#4 Bikeman982

Bikeman982

Bikeman982

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 04:12 PM

I checked the NTSB and there's no recall. I'm picking up the seat belt from the dealer tomorow...so I hope it's not too difficult to install.

What happened to your old one? Does it not retract like it is supposed to? That is the problem with most of them.

#5 keymusic

keymusic

Neutral

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 11:38 PM

It's not only not retracting, it can't even be pushed back in. It's completely extended out.

#6 Bikeman982

Bikeman982

Bikeman982

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 12:57 AM

It's not only not retracting, it can't even be pushed back in. It's completely extended out.

So it is stuck out and can't be retracted. Must have been pulled out too far. Sometimes you can snap it out and it will retract again. As it is, it is not functional.

#7 NILLINOIS

NILLINOIS

3rd Gear

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 12:01 AM

Thanks.

It's easy to get it out..a bit harder to get everything back together again ( ask Bikeman about that ) :D

If you have side airbags, disconnect the neg. terminal from the battery and wait 5 minutes.

There's a plastic 'rivet' in the pillar facing outward. This is the only fastener holding the bottem plastic panel onto the the steel pillar. You can get to it from the rear driver side door.

http://i74.photobuck...rolla-rivet.jpg

Just pry it out with a flathead screwdriver, or just cut it with a utility knife just under the head. Usually they break. Just get a new one at an auto parts store. Slowly work the panel away from around the pillar. I find its easiest to remove the panel from the front ( drivers door ) first. Its a tight fit, and will require some prying to put it back around the pillar when you're done.

They usually have lugs underneath at the bottom that snap into the thresholds of the front and rear doors. After its out, you can see the retractor assembly at the bottom of the door pillar. Only 1 or 2 big 12mm bolts holding in on, and one electrical connector. Repair or replace.

Edited by NILLINOIS, 03 July 2006 - 12:04 AM.

#8 Bikeman982

Bikeman982

Bikeman982

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 12:15 AM

Thanks.

Let us know if you ever get the panel off and the seat belt replaced.
I thought there was a recall for faulty seat belts on all 7th generation Corollas.
Mine had one inspected and it is in the maintenance history.

#9 misterken

misterken

1st Gear

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 12:11 PM

This is funny. I have a 95 Corolla and purchased it back in February 95. By the time I moved to LA in July 95, I brought it into the dealer and have them try to check it. But they couldn't "recreate" the problem. Nothing was ever done about it. Luckily, the seat belt operates correctly 98% of the time and only acts up about once or twice a year.

The problem with my seatbelt was when I went to put my seatbelt on, it only pull out a little bit and the lock mechanism activate to prevent the belt from extending out more. Then I'd sit there, wait a few seconds and try to tug on it again to get a little bit more of it to come out. I had to repeat that like 20 times before I got the belt to extend out enough to be able to buckle up. It was frustrating.

How much is the seatbelt? Is it the seatbelt that has to be replaced or is it a locking mechanism?

Was the installation difficult?

#10 Bikeman982

Bikeman982

Bikeman982

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 08:11 PM

This is funny. I have a 95 Corolla and purchased it back in February 95. By the time I moved to LA in July 95, I brought it into the dealer and have them try to check it. But they couldn't "recreate" the problem. Nothing was ever done about it. Luckily, the seat belt operates correctly 98% of the time and only acts up about once or twice a year.

The problem with my seatbelt was when I went to put my seatbelt on, it only pull out a little bit and the lock mechanism activate to prevent the belt from extending out more. Then I'd sit there, wait a few seconds and try to tug on it again to get a little bit more of it to come out. I had to repeat that like 20 times before I got the belt to extend out enough to be able to buckle up. It was frustrating.

How much is the seatbelt? Is it the seatbelt that has to be replaced or is it a locking mechanism?

Was the installation difficult?

You are lucky it works so well for you 98% of the time.

Mine will not retract completely and I have gone to tossing it onto the driver's seat when I get out of the car, so it doesn't get caught in the door.

#11 DarkNinja75

DarkNinja75

1st Gear

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 03:00 AM

You are lucky it works so well for you 98% of the time.

Mine will not retract completely and I have gone to tossing it onto the driver's seat when I get out of the car, so it doesn't get caught in the door.

Same. If I'm in no hurry I'll retract it manually though.

#12 Bitter

Bitter

Overdrive

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,919 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 06:59 PM

the drivers side retract on mine is slow as well, but it doesnt really bother me.

#13 Bikeman982

Bikeman982

Bikeman982

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 11:05 PM

the drivers side retract on mine is slow as well, but it doesnt really bother me.

Seems to be typical for these cars. Maybe the springs in the retractor just wear out, or maybe not strong enough to begin with. I have just come to accept mine as it is and figure it is not worth the time or the effort required to replace it. I think the replacement would end up the same, anyway.

Edited by Bikeman982, 04 September 2006 - 11:05 PM.

#14 Jason86

Jason86

1st Gear

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 11:30 PM

I have the same problem with my seatbelt, but now the stupid seatbelt light is messed up as well. When I have the seatbelt on the light is off, but when I put it on the red light telling you to put on your seatbelt blinks non-stop. Anyone know if there is a way to disable the seatbelt light?

#15 Bikeman982

Bikeman982

Bikeman982

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 12:10 AM

I have the same problem with my seatbelt, but now the stupid seatbelt light is messed up as well. When I have the seatbelt on the light is off, but when I put it on the red light telling you to put on your seatbelt blinks non-stop. Anyone know if there is a way to disable the seatbelt light?

Sounds like the light is working backwards.
Check the wiring schematic.
I believe the switch is actually under the seat.
You could just bypass the switch and the light should always be out.