Photo
- - - - -

99 Corolla Ve Check Engine Code P0440, Evap Malfunction.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Bad_dude

Bad_dude

3rd Gear

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 12:17 PM

Hi guys,
I bought this car used and it's has been running great since July of last year. All of a sudden this morning at around 5AM, when I was coming home from work, the check engine light came on. I went to Autozone with the code reader borrowed and it said code P0440, EVAP, Emission control system malfunction. Now I can't get it fixed right away, so I would like to know if I could drive it for a few days before I can get a chance to get it fixed?
Is it dangerous to drive it for a few days? Is there any possible way if there is a simple hose that might have came loose that I can fix simply? Any other ideas would be much appreciated. I had tried to see if I can clean the throttle body and I did take off the big air hose between the air filter and throttle body, could the hose comes loose to cause this error code read?

Thanks for the help.

#2 fastcorolla98

fastcorolla98

1st Gear

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 02:05 PM

Hi guys,
I bought this car used and it's has been running great since July of last year. All of a sudden this morning at around 5AM, when I was coming home from work, the check engine light came on. I went to Autozone with the code reader borrowed and it said code P0440, EVAP, Emission control system malfunction. Now I can't get it fixed right away, so I would like to know if I could drive it for a few days before I can get a chance to get it fixed?
Is it dangerous to drive it for a few days? Is there any possible way if there is a simple hose that might have came loose that I can fix simply? Any other ideas would be much appreciated. I had tried to see if I can clean the throttle body and I did take off the big air hose between the air filter and throttle body, could the hose comes loose to cause this error code read?

Thanks for the help.

this could be many problems but lets go wtih the simple ones, if u have aftermarket intake make sure your sensors and stuff are connected, and double check your gas cap... the light comes on if its loose... reset your bat drive up to 32 miles, this will reset and see if it goes on agian..

#3 Anton

Anton

1st Gear

• Members
  • Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 09:57 PM

Bad dude,

I could send you some TSB files in pdf format that I have regarding this. I can't figure out how to post them here. If you want to give me an Email I can send them to...

I have been dealing with P0441, and P0446 in 98 corolla.

"P0440 is Evap monitor leak operation.
The ECM tests for leaks by measuring EVAP system pressure in the lines,
charcoal cannister, and fuel tank. When the EVAP pressure is higher or lower
than atmospheric pressure, the ECM concludes that no leaks are present.
EVAP pressure is measured by the vapor pressure sensor. If either the
tank or the cannister purge side is at atmospheric pressure under specific
conditions, the ECM determines there is a leak.

If DTC P0440 is present, the leak is on the fuel tank side of the EVAP system.
This also includes teh lines between the fuel tank and part of the cannister.
When the Vapor Pressure sensor is measuring tank pressure, the ECM
is observing changes in pressure and comparing tank pressure to atmospheric
pressure. No difference in pressure indicates a leak. The ECM may take 20 minutes
or more to complete testing the fuel tank side."

-Anton

#4 Bad_dude

Bad_dude

3rd Gear

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 12:02 AM

Hi Anton,
My email is bad_dude at sbcglobal dot net
Thanks.

#5 Anton

Anton

1st Gear

• Members
  • Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 09:15 AM

I sent you an email.

If the problem is fixed, you may still need to clear the code. I don't know if Autozone is able to do this.

What part of the country are you in?

-anton

#6 Bad_dude

Bad_dude

3rd Gear

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 12:12 PM

I sent you an email.

If the problem is fixed, you may still need to clear the code. I don't know if Autozone is able to do this.

What part of the country are you in?

-anton

Hi Anton,
Sorry, I gave you the wrong email, it's bad_dude888 at sbcglobal dot net
My other one is from an old account which with my bad habit I can't stop doing. I am in Fullerton, CA and I have an Autozone right across the street from me. Instead of the code reader, can I just remove the negative on the battery?
Thanks.

#7 Bitter

Bitter

Overdrive

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,917 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 01:25 PM

the code will clear itself if the problem has been fixed.

#8 Bad_dude

Bad_dude

3rd Gear

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 03:57 PM

the code will clear itself if the problem has been fixed.

OK guys, I think it's the gas cap b/c my wife filled it up but when I inspect the gas cap, I could turn a little more and then the click comes in. So I think the gas cap was the culprit as the tank was almost empty when the check engine light came on.
While I was at it, I cleaned the throttle body. How deep is the throttle body? I clean as far as I could about no more than 3 inches deep. There was black gum and it was thoroughly cleaned. I also inspected the tubes around to see if there's any leak. I am not that familiar with cars so can anyone tells me the vacuum tubes, how do I follow and check them? I just need the locations to thoroughly check them for leaks.

Thanks.

#9 Anton

Anton

1st Gear

• Members
  • Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 10:48 PM

dude,

there are some vacuum lines down by the fuel tank, going to the charcoal cannister. Might have to remove the muffler to get there.

Becareful not to overfuel your corolla, could cause problems with the cannister.

#10 Bad_dude

Bad_dude

3rd Gear

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 12:47 AM

Anton,
What do you mean by overfuel? Do you mean topping off after the handle click to stop pumping?

Thanks.

#11 Anton

Anton

1st Gear

• Members
  • Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 21 May 2006 - 01:28 PM

Here is a link to the file I sent, for others to reference.

Troubleshooting Evap Problems TSB

Yes, that is what I mean by overfuelling.