- - - - -

The Gas Won't Go In!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_gavinlarson_*

Guest_gavinlarson_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2005 - 12:58 PM

My wife recently started having an annoying problem on her '02 Corolla LE. She tells me that she went to fill up at the gas station, and when she turned the pump nozzle down to insert it into the car, lots of gas ran out of the nozzle, and all over the car (I relate that just in case it has something to do with the problem). When she finally got the nozzle in, and started to pump the gas, it wouldn't go. Every few seconds it would shut off, as if the tank was full (but it wasn't). Since then, we've filled up twice and the same thing happens everywhere. The pump will pump a gallon or two, and then shut off. It's extremely annoying, and extremely difficult to get the tank full. In addition, it's impossible to know when the tank is really full, and when it is just faking it. Does anyone have any ideas? I have read posts that make it sound like it may be a clogged charcoal canister, but I've also been told that it is just because of the heat (I live in Texas), and that the problem will go away on its own. Anyway, I'd appreciate some advice. I'm about to go back to school (and become penniless), and I'd like to get this resolved before then.

#2 Max

Max

5th Gear

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 02:35 PM

It's being discussed in this thread:

New Corolla 05 Owner
Small issue with fueling car

Edited by Max, 01 July 2005 - 02:39 PM.

#3 Guest_gavinlarson_*

Guest_gavinlarson_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2005 - 02:50 PM

I realize that. However, I thought posting a new topic with a more clearly defined title could add visibility.

#4 01loadedLE

01loadedLE

141k miles

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 04:43 PM

until you find a station where that doesnt happen youre going to have to hold the pump up instead of letting it rest in the opening, and hold the tip close to the opening instead of pushing it in all the way.

[edit]gavin, where in tx are you at? Im in the kilgore/longview area.

Edited by 01loadedLE, 01 July 2005 - 04:45 PM.

#5 Silver Bullet

Silver Bullet

2nd Gear

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 07:39 PM

It could be the canister or a faulty emmisions sensor. However, the Check Engine Light should be illuminated with an associated OBDII code.

#6 Guest_gavinlarson_*

Guest_gavinlarson_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2005 - 07:54 PM

See, that also makes me wonder. The check engine light is not on. And I can't understand why I would have to pump gas differently at stations that have always been fine in the past. I'm in the Austin area.

Edited by gavinlarson, 01 July 2005 - 07:55 PM.

#7 fishexpo101

fishexpo101

I know Karate, Kung Fu, and 47 other dangerous words...

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,236 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 10:26 PM

Could be an air pocket giving you problems. The added heat doesn't help matters any.

Sometimes you will have gas nozzles that refuse to pump in any gas regardless of how much gas is currently in the tank and how slowly you pull the trigger on the nozzle.

If you can draw nozzle out a hair or move it closer to one side of the fill tube and the gas flows, then it is more likely an air pocket in the tank. Another method is to fill up in the early morning or late evening to take advantage of the cooler temps - get more gas for your money that way too (gasoline has a relatively high coefficient of volumetric expansion).

#8 Deviant_Tech

Deviant_Tech

Neutral

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 July 2005 - 04:40 AM

Hey, I had this same problem with my new Rolla and was the topic starter of "New Corolla 05 Owner Small issue with fueling car." I don't know if it was because of its newness or something because I have not had the problem since the first 3 times I filled it up. I have even gone back to the same station, SAME PUMP, and had no problems. I never thought about it being the heat though because up until early this week, Germany was going through a good 2 week heat wave. Sorry if this doesn't help you much. :blink:

#9 01loadedLE

01loadedLE

141k miles

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 02 July 2005 - 02:46 PM

See, that also makes me wonder. The check engine light is not on. And I can't understand why I would have to pump gas differently at stations that have always been fine in the past. I'm in the Austin area.

same thing happened to me, I never had problems with them until recently. they recently set the pump shutoff more sensitive, probably because of a previous overspill which made them want to set it more sensitive to prevent that further.

#10 Cherry128

Cherry128

4th Gear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 02 July 2005 - 02:57 PM

The newer nozzles at some gas stations have a rubber boot that does a descent job of sealing the gas tank to prevent fuel vapor emissions. However, if the charcoal canister and venting system isn't working properly or the aspiration system at the gas station pump, then pressure builds up in the tank and triggers the flow cut off on the nozzle.