Photo
- - - - -

What Happens When You Drive W/ Parking Brakes On?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Mins

Mins

1st Gear

• Members
  • Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 08:18 PM

Hi guys. I accidentally drove my '05 corolla le auto for 30minutes around the town with the parking brakes up(apporx. 4 clicks up). Would this have damaged my rear drums/pads/linings/transmission? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

oh btw, i tried using the search for this but it seems like there is an error in the system since all i get is a blank page with nothing on it.

#2 the99contour

the99contour

5th Gear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,485 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 08:39 PM

The search is broken, don't bother searching for a while.

To answer your question, driving at city speeds with stop and go traffic for 30 minutes won't damage your transaxle. It may cause your rear brakes to heat up a bit, but I doubt they are damaged, especially if the brake wasn't set past 4 clicks.

Now, if you were driving highway speed, you still wouldn't damage your transaxle, but you may want to have your brakes checked out.

To prevent this from happening again, always look at your instruments and make sure the brake warning light is off before you drive off. You can also look at whatever is parked infront of you. If you don't see the DRL shining on it, then your parking brake is probably set and you should check it.

#3 Larry Roll

Larry Roll

5th Gear

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 08:53 PM

Keep in mind, for those 30 minutes, you probably put at least a week's worth of wear on your rear brake linings and drums! I don't know if they could have heated up enough to cause the drums to warp; if the braking action is normally smooth in the future, I wouldn't worry about it. If it gets a bit "lumpy," you at least have an idea of how it got that way! Turning the drums would probably fix the problem if that's the case. But, if it doesn't seem broken, then I wouldn't bother trying to fix it!

#4 01loadedLE

01loadedLE

137k miles

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 10:19 PM

not that it didnt need it beforehand but now your parking brake could use tightening. mine is tight and holds the car solid at 2 clicks and it takes deliberate effort to get to 3 clicks.

#5 Bikeman982

Bikeman982

Bikeman982

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 11:27 PM

I am no expert, but I would think it could run the gammit between nothing happened to excessive wear on the rear brakes. That would mean worn (if you have rear drum brakes) shoes and possibly drum, or maybe just a slight decrease in their life cycle. You can tell if your brake pedal goes a little further down that your shoes are thinner. You can check how high the emergency handle pulls up and using your memory decide if it goes up higher than before. It might be fine, or it could use some adjustment. It is always a good idea to check your gauges and lights before you drive off. If the emergency break was just a little engaged, it may have consumed a little more gas to get where you went, since the engine was working against the braking effort of the emergency brake. If it was very much engaged, it would have been difficult to drive away since it's purpose is to keep the vehicle from moving forward when it is engaged. Chances are that if the car still runs and stops similarly to what it did before that everything is fine. If your emergency brake still works then you probably don't need to do anything. If anything feels or sounds wrong, then it would be advisable to have it checked by a competent person. Hope that helps.

#6 OUKB

OUKB

3rd Gear

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 11:23 AM

If you did not smell burning brake pads - nothing to worry about. You need to adjust parking brake to move braking shoes close to the drum surface. If you are at 4 clicks car should not even move.

Edited by OUKB, 09 June 2005 - 11:28 AM.

#7 01loadedLE

01loadedLE

137k miles

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 12:46 PM

right ouk. my car holds at one click unless on an incline, then it takes two clicks and holds the car in place. 3 clicks on mine is overkill for my use and would only be needed on heavy inclines.

#8 Mins

Mins

1st Gear

• Members
  • Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 02:14 PM

thanks guys for your help. My car moves in drive no matter what with 3 clicks up and very slowly with 4 clicks up. Does our car come with self-adjusters for the drums? If not, is it something that I can adjust it by myself?
Thanks again.

#9 OUKB

OUKB

3rd Gear

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 02:28 PM

i'm not sure about 05, but on 98 for sure is not self-adjusted. I adjust mine every 2-3 month.

Look at parking brake slot under rubber flaps on tunnel you'll find ajusting screw, tight a bit and check parking brake

#10 01loadedLE

01loadedLE

137k miles

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 05:20 PM

ouk, are you speaking of the inside the center console where the parking brake is, or are you talking under the car, or near the rear brakes? I will start keeping the brake tight myself also.

#11 OUKB

OUKB

3rd Gear

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 05:53 PM

Yes

#12 DDragon7

DDragon7

2nd Gear

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 07:15 PM

Hmm, I dont think my corolla holds at 3 clicks.

#13 Keith V

Keith V

1st Gear

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 07:56 PM

OUKB Posted on Jun 9 2005, 02:28 PM
i'm not sure about 05, but on 98 for sure is not self-adjusted. I adjust mine every 2-3 month.

Look at parking brake slot under rubber flaps on tunnel you'll find ajusting screw, tight a bit and check parking brake

Hello OUKB - this may be a dumb question to you, but are you referring to the tunnel in the car, or under the car? Thank's for your reply. :D

#14 01loadedLE

01loadedLE

137k miles

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 11:40 PM

lol he said yes, but I dont know to which of my 3 questions he answered. :lol:

#15 OUKB

OUKB

3rd Gear

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 10 June 2005 - 12:26 PM

oK..

There are 2 point to adjust rear braking shoes.
1. There is an adjustor on rear brake assembly, so you can move shoes closer to the drum's surface, but you would need to remove e-brake's cable slack.
2. Underneath of central console (tunnel inside the cabin) where e-brake comes out there is a nut(bolt) to adjust e-brake cable. You need to move rubber guard away to see it, location is towards tranny shifter.