• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 jeffmsmith

jeffmsmith

Neutral

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 November 2004 - 07:44 AM

I bought a block heater for my 2002. It says that it goes in a hole that is machined under the left side spark plug. For the life of me I can not find the hole. Does anyone here know of the exact location of this or have a picture that point to where it should go.

#2 fishexpo101

fishexpo101

I know Karate, Kung Fu, and 47 other dangerous words...

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,269 posts

Posted 12 November 2004 - 10:05 AM

What type of heater is it and who makes it? Supposed to heat the coolant or oil? Kind of a weird spot to place a heater - there are some flat spots on the left side of the block - but nothing like a machined hole. Under the left-most spark plug?? The sparkplugs are in deep wells - the things close to it are a VVT-i oil actuator and pulleys and motor mounts.

#3 jeffmsmith

jeffmsmith

Neutral

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 November 2004 - 11:49 AM

I bought it at Toyota and I think it is made by Pyroil. Nobody there seems to know where it really went. I was told the hole was in the head but I don't see one. Other than that I don't know anymore about it.

#4 fishexpo101

fishexpo101

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,269 posts

Posted 12 November 2004 - 12:23 PM

Pyroil heater - good deal. A lot better than the Temro ones they used to sell.

Is it a spring clip type of heater or does it have a heating element loop?

If it is a spring clip type - they usually don't work very well, but are much easier to install than the other. There should be a spot on the back of the block near the exhaust manifold that you can get to. Just sits in there.

The other type needs to have you remove a freeze plug and install it in place of the plug. I would highly recommend the dealer install that type - very easy to nick something or have it seat improperly leading eventually to a coolant leak.

There are also ones that go in-line with a heater or radiator hose. They heat the coolant that way and helps speed up the warm-up process.

Keep in mind that these heaters are only designed for the "human" factor. Your engine will not generally benefit from a block heater (oil or coolant types) unless the ambient temperature are consistently around the -30 degree (F) mark. They just get heat to spit out faster - that way your butt doesn't freeze to the seat.

Good Luck.

#5 jeffmsmith

jeffmsmith

Neutral

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 November 2004 - 12:39 PM

It's the spring clip one. Seem to be the only one they had in their catalog at the time. Anyways do I have to take the heat sheid off to see it or should I be able to see it with it on?

#6 fishexpo101

fishexpo101

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,269 posts

Posted 12 November 2004 - 01:01 PM

I don't believe so. That model of heater was designed specifically for the 8th generation 1998-2002 Corollas. The spot for it should be above the heat-shield. I think the people with the 9th generation of Corollas have to remove the heat shield.

#7 jeffmsmith

jeffmsmith

Neutral

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 07:42 AM

Hey fishexpo101, I looked for the hole yesterday for about an hour. Still no luck on finding it. Is there anyway you can take a picture and show me where it is at. Thanks -Jeff

#8 fishexpo101

fishexpo101

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,269 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 10:39 AM

As soon as I get a chance - I'll try to get a picture for you.

#9 jeffmsmith

jeffmsmith

Neutral

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 11:55 AM

Thanks, hope to see it soon!!

#10 fishexpo101

fishexpo101

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,269 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 01:36 AM

Tried to take a picture of my engine - but digital camera doesn't have a close range macro.

But I did find a link that barely shows it (1ZZ-FE engine for a project car):

http://locost7.info/...n ( front ).jpg

If you look at the #4 cylinder (furthest one from the pulleys) - above the exhaust header you'll just make out the circular spot on cylinder head. There is supposed to be a freezeplug on the front of the engine as well - but I couldn't see it (might be around the oil filter and under the intake runners).

Hope this helps.

#11 jeffmsmith

jeffmsmith

Neutral

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 07:26 AM

Thank you. I'll see if I can find it now hopefully.