20 replies to this topic

#1 Silver Bullet

Silver Bullet

2nd Gear

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 02:41 AM

I've been using Castrol Syntec 5W-50 for several years with no problems. However, I'm thinking about switching to Mobil 1 because I've read/heard so many good things about it. Also, I've noticed that Mobil 1 is slightly cheaper than Castrol Syntec. So which one takes the crown in this debate?

#2 fishexpo101

fishexpo101

I know Karate, Kung Fu, and 47 other dangerous words...

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,445 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 02:27 PM

I'd go with Mobil 1 - both are good oils, and you would save some money with the Mobil.

I'm not sure of Castrol's has changed its makeup in the past few years - but Mobil 1's make up is PAO base stock (Group IV, true synthetic) and and Castrol Syntec is hydroisomerized petroleum base stock (Group III, dewaxed convential oil).

#3 Guest_Buckeyeman_*

Guest_Buckeyeman_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2004 - 05:45 PM

I've been using Mobil 1 since 1987 and love it. I use it in my cars, lawnmower, snowblower, pressure washer and I use the 2-cycle Mobil 1 in my 2 stroke trimmer.

You can also get it at Sam's Club for $3.88 qt. or if your not a member watch the sales at K-mart for $4 qt.

#4 Silver Bullet

Silver Bullet

2nd Gear

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 07:47 PM

Thanks for your input. I live in Southern California so cold weather starting isn't an issue. Do you think I should use 5w-30 or 10w-30?

#5 Jeff726

Jeff726

4th Gear

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 09:26 PM

10w-30 should be just fine.

#6 Guest_gleve_*

Guest_gleve_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2005 - 04:51 PM

You can use a Castrol synthetic oil 0w-30 oil can get at Auto Zone reason why I say only the 0w-30 it is a true poly because it is made in germany to verify check the back of the bottle it will indicat germany, there have been xcellnt results with this oil it a higher 30wt than mobil has a higher hs/ht a thicker film between the metal surfaces

#7 Firescooby

Firescooby

1st Gear

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 26 February 2005 - 11:18 PM

I've been using Castrol Syntec 5W-50 for several years with no problems. However, I'm thinking about switching to Mobil 1 because I've read/heard so many good things about it. Also, I've noticed that Mobil 1 is slightly cheaper than Castrol Syntec. So which one takes the crown in this debate?

I wouldn't be using 50w oil.

Also check the SYntec to see if the back of the bottle says imported to US. The German Castrol (known as GC) is much better (proven by virgin and used oil analysis.

#8 Guest_rev_rock_*

Guest_rev_rock_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2005 - 01:27 AM

I use Amsoil, but Mobil 1 would be my second choice. They now even have an extended drain oil that they guarantee for 15,000 miles. Look for the bottle that has says "EP" on it.

#9 PandaBear

PandaBear

1st Gear

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 01:39 PM

German Castrol (aka. GC) is known to be good as they are still PAO based instead of Group 3 hydrocrack but they are very hard to find, from what i know only come in 0w30.

M1 and Amzoil are PAO, both very good, other Synthetic out there are just Group 3 hydrocrack, while better than dino oil, it is not going to last as long and are way overpriced. If you were to get the best bang for your buck, get M1 in retail or Amzoil if mailorder.

I have done 12k oil change with M1 5w30, analysis say it is still good for another 3k or more. If you use Syntec i can guarantee it won't last as long.

#10 Guest_another_requiem_*

Guest_another_requiem_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2005 - 03:50 PM

ive used mobil 1 forever in my V8, but i use castrol for my 4 cylinder.

but you can go wrong with mobil 1, it is the standard oil for Dodge Vipers, Corvettes, AMG' Mercedes, Porsche, blah blah and all those High End cars.

#11 Guest_sandcrawler_*

Guest_sandcrawler_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2005 - 05:08 AM

may I suggest AMSoil? https://www.amsoil.com/ superior synthetic oil and extra large oil filters... they also have a bypass filter system if you absolutely must have the best in filtration

#12 buurin

buurin

4th Gear

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 01:19 PM

may I suggest AMSoil? https://www.amsoil.com/ superior synthetic oil and extra large oil filters... they also have a bypass filter system if you absolutely must have the best in filtration

You an Amsoil dealer? :D

Ceramic magnets, according to some, also helps trap some crud in the pan.

I bought two and will stick them on the pan tomorrow when I do my first DIY oil change in 12 years of driving, on my 99 ZZE110. It was on dino all along with 81k KM on the clock.

I redeemed my reward points for four bottles of M1 5W-30 for it. That's CDN$29+ saved. :D

#13 stewardc

stewardc

3rd Gear

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 07:11 AM

Syntec is not a true synthetic, but is formulated from dinostock. Mobil 1 is still the best synthetic oil IMHO. I have run it in my last 3 cars and run over 60,000 miles a year. It simply can't be beat.

#14 Ti-Jean

Ti-Jean

3rd Gear

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 08:57 PM

Syntec is not a true synthetic, but is formulated from dinostock. Mobil 1 is still the best synthetic oil IMHO. I have run it in my last 3 cars and run over 60,000 miles a year. It simply can't be beat.

stewardc,

You're in NS. Have you considered Esso Extra XD-3 0W-30?

Almost half the price of M1 and considered to be one of the best full syn group 4 PAO based oil around. TBN is at 12.2, much higher than M1. Great for your high mileage application.

If there is a bulk Esso station near you, might have a look at it. I've heard that prices are going up soon. I paid $3.85 Cdn/liter for 4 X 4liter jugs of this wonderful elixir... :rolleyes:

Edited by Ti-Jean, 24 April 2005 - 09:00 PM.

#15 buurin

buurin

4th Gear

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 10:03 PM

You're in NS.  Have you considered Esso Extra XD-3 0W-30?

Almost half the price of M1 and considered to be one of the best full syn group 4 PAO based oil around.  TBN is at 12.2, much higher than M1.  Great for your high mileage application.

If there is a bulk Esso station near you, might have a look at it.  I've heard that prices are going up soon.  I paid $3.85 Cdn/liter for 4 X 4liter jugs of this wonderful elixir... :rolleyes:

0W-30??? Are we supposed to use this weight??? :blink:

Nonono, scratch that...

Those are synthetic??? Where are they??? :blink: :blink:

Without knowing about these, I did one better: I threw in all my Esso Extra points for my four bottles of Mobil 1s. These are Cdn$7.3 a litre at Walmart ($8 at Crappy Tire and $10 even $11 at Esso stations!), but I ended up paying zilch.

People, it's what Esso Extra is for, when gas prices are sky high! :D (When gas was cheap, I would save points to redeem $30 gas)